Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Comment from: Blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had tinnitus for years, and it was like a chainsaw being used, but quite a distance away. The doctor said nothing could be done because the cause of it is unknown. It was most noticeable at night. Suddenly one night it stopped. Looking back I had always had a postnasal drip and often painful pressure in my sinuses. I had decided to cut out all dairy products, using soy milk instead. This cleared my sinuses and postnasal drip.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

I am a nurse. I first started having occasional noises in my head or ears but now this noises are constant at all times. I think they started when we moved to a new hospital that has an alarm on the isolation rooms which they go off when the doors are open after a period of time. I do not have hearing loss but this is very annoying.

Comment from: KimR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I am now almost certain that swimming causes my tinnitus. I had a long period when my tinnitus was getting progressively better then yesterday I had another swim, my first in a couple of weeks, and today I'm much worse again. It seems to follow that pattern. I wear ear plugs, cap and a tight band to protect my ears, plus a nose plug to stop breathing in chlorinated water, but I still get it. From now on, I think I better stick to running and cycling. It's a shame as I enjoy swimming but it's not worth the discomfort.

Comment from: JohnB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

This is not good. This noise is constant and drives me bonkers. It is a high pitched whine that never eases. I have been told to learn to live with it...This is not good...

Comment from: So sad, 55-64 Female Published: May 31

Hi all I am on the verge of going insane due to this incessant ringing in my ears, I have had my right ear ringing for over 30 years now and my left for the last 6 years. I am 59 now and really don't know how much longer I can put up with it, I have tried lots of things but nothing helps.

Comment from: Glenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been living with tinnitus for over 30 years. While I've learned to live with it, it sure would be nice to have some relief. When I have mentioned it to the family doctor, she responds like it is no big deal. I just wish everyone could experience about three days straight of this problem. It would give the world a whole new perspective on how some of us must live.

Comment from: blownears, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had tinnitus for about 45 years. I have been to several doctors and have been told there is no cure. I once went to this old doctor he ran a tube through my nose and some way behind my ear canal and would blow them out. This would give me relief for a while, but he died and that was the end of that. I then asked another doctor to do this and he thought I was crazy said that there was no way he would do this because it was dangerous.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 44 years female which had always been deaf in one ear went through 12 years of normal school without any hearing aid was in school swim team and college diving then after a domestic flight from Pretoria to Cape Town, I woke up to experience total deafness! This was seriously scary! Went to several doctors which didn't know what to do with me and at the end a homeopath, which was the only person that after 6 months had me hearing without a hearing aid! Shortly after the major loss of hearing I started having the noise in my ear like someone hitting a pipe on metal. This noise drove me ballistic in the beginning I was told there is no cure at all! I agree that if you don't concentrate on it its easier with lots of stress it increases too! I firmly believe that caffeine and colorants in cold drinks affects it also badly! I still have it and am no once again searching something to decrease this as its terrible with only one hearing aid and coping with the noise!!

Acupuncture is the best way as there are many successful cases proved that new tinnitus patients recovered after acupuncture for a short period of treatment. No medicine is required.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 26

I was doing some yard work today and spent about 45 minutes with a leaf blower. It was loud enough that I initially thought it might be wise to get some earplugs. But I ignored the impression to do so. Now I'm having a high-pitched noise in my ears and it has been over eight hours since I finished with the blower. My question is for anyone who has noticed similar symptoms that have gone for several hours. Normally my hearing is extremely good. I have on many occasions used a blower before as well as a hedge-trimmer and lawn mower and have found the high-pitched sound has lasted for maybe half an hour after I have come back in the house. So this is unusual for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?