Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

...
Comment from: SueSue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I'm in my middle 60's. I never had a problem with my hearing until January 2010. I had severe viral infections. I originally got sick in November but it laid dormant until after Christmas when it reared its ugly head and put me in bed for 2 weeks. I am an asthmatic; I was given antibiotics, which didn't help. I was then given medpac steroids which worked, and helped me breathe. That was when the Tinnitus started. My doctor felt the viral infection settled in the nerve endings, and to give it time to heal. Well, it's May, and it's still with me. An audiologist testing results showed I have great hearing. I still want to go to an Ear Nose and Throat MD just in case my Primary missed something.

I had an attack of vertigo 6-8 months ago, the doctor prescribed me some medicine, the room was spinning, I felt sick it was terrible, the high pitched noise in my ears has got worse in the last few weeks, in the day I don't notice the noise because of the radio, TV set, and everyday noises mask it, but at night when its quiet that's the worst, it does not keep me awake at the moment I sleep OK, listening to the birds singing in the morning, and the wind, is peaceful, I eat as much fresh veggies and fruit as I can, I don't smoke, I drink a glass of Perry occasionally.

Comment from: prov, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Like Rob who tried everything, and finally adjusted saying that I just have to live with it, I tried everything including solutions that did not work. I decided to follow Rob's experience and now I don't let it bother me or let it interfere with my life. Thank you Rob.

Comment from: warren, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Try this: Buy a cheap radio. Tune to 'white noise' and connect to headphones. Adjust the volume to just cover the sound of the tinnitus. It's best at night when trying to sleep. Give it 10 minutes at least, 40 minutes at most. Good luck!

Comment from: Blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had tinnitus for years, and it was like a chainsaw being used, but quite a distance away. The doctor said nothing could be done because the cause of it is unknown. It was most noticeable at night. Suddenly one night it stopped. Looking back I had always had a postnasal drip and often painful pressure in my sinuses. I had decided to cut out all dairy products, using soy milk instead. This cleared my sinuses and postnasal drip.

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

I am a nurse. I first started having occasional noises in my head or ears but now this noises are constant at all times. I think they started when we moved to a new hospital that has an alarm on the isolation rooms which they go off when the doors are open after a period of time. I do not have hearing loss but this is very annoying.

Comment from: KimR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I am now almost certain that swimming causes my tinnitus. I had a long period when my tinnitus was getting progressively better then yesterday I had another swim, my first in a couple of weeks, and today I'm much worse again. It seems to follow that pattern. I wear ear plugs, cap and a tight band to protect my ears, plus a nose plug to stop breathing in chlorinated water, but I still get it. From now on, I think I better stick to running and cycling. It's a shame as I enjoy swimming but it's not worth the discomfort.

Comment from: JohnB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

This is not good. This noise is constant and drives me bonkers. It is a high pitched whine that never eases. I have been told to learn to live with it...This is not good...

Comment from: So sad, 55-64 Female Published: May 31

Hi all I am on the verge of going insane due to this incessant ringing in my ears, I have had my right ear ringing for over 30 years now and my left for the last 6 years. I am 59 now and really don't know how much longer I can put up with it, I have tried lots of things but nothing helps.

Comment from: Glenda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have been living with tinnitus for over 30 years. While I've learned to live with it, it sure would be nice to have some relief. When I have mentioned it to the family doctor, she responds like it is no big deal. I just wish everyone could experience about three days straight of this problem. It would give the world a whole new perspective on how some of us must live.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?