Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Comment from: blownears, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I have had tinnitus for about 45 years. I have been to several doctors and have been told there is no cure. I once went to this old doctor he ran a tube through my nose and some way behind my ear canal and would blow them out. This would give me relief for a while, but he died and that was the end of that. I then asked another doctor to do this and he thought I was crazy said that there was no way he would do this because it was dangerous.

Comment from: karen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 44 years female which had always been deaf in one ear went through 12 years of normal school without any hearing aid was in school swim team and college diving then after a domestic flight from Pretoria to Cape Town, I woke up to experience total deafness! This was seriously scary! Went to several doctors which didn't know what to do with me and at the end a homeopath, which was the only person that after 6 months had me hearing without a hearing aid! Shortly after the major loss of hearing I started having the noise in my ear like someone hitting a pipe on metal. This noise drove me ballistic in the beginning I was told there is no cure at all! I agree that if you don't concentrate on it its easier with lots of stress it increases too! I firmly believe that caffeine and colorants in cold drinks affects it also badly! I still have it and am no once again searching something to decrease this as its terrible with only one hearing aid and coping with the noise!!

Acupuncture is the best way as there are many successful cases proved that new tinnitus patients recovered after acupuncture for a short period of treatment. No medicine is required.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: April 26

I was doing some yard work today and spent about 45 minutes with a leaf blower. It was loud enough that I initially thought it might be wise to get some earplugs. But I ignored the impression to do so. Now I'm having a high-pitched noise in my ears and it has been over eight hours since I finished with the blower. My question is for anyone who has noticed similar symptoms that have gone for several hours. Normally my hearing is extremely good. I have on many occasions used a blower before as well as a hedge-trimmer and lawn mower and have found the high-pitched sound has lasted for maybe half an hour after I have come back in the house. So this is unusual for me.

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I am retired from law enforcement and early on went to the firing range without ear protection and have ridden a Harley for years. I guess this must be the cause that came on one month ago and although on occasion have no sound for about an hour, it is there all the time. Ibuprofen does help at night. I tried Lypo-flaviniod Plus which helped at first but they tell you to take it for several months (profit for them I guess). If the doctors do not know what causes it how can they treat it or try and treat it? It is the leading cause for disability from the military now, so you would think someone would be working on a cure.

Published: April 14

I've had tinnitus for about three years. I woke up one day and I thought I was losing my mind. I went to the doctor and he checked my ears, my heart and the pressure in my neck just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. My doctor indicated that there isn't really a known cause or cure. As long as I'm listening to music, the TV, or talking to people, I don't really notice the noise. Once it gets quiet, the annoying noise begins.

Comment from: Dave C, 65-74 Male Published: March 09

Thank you for clear, useful information including the diagram of the ear. I am a tinnitus sufferer and in the older group. I believe that I may now be feeling the effects of an active life as a keen swimmer and lover of the sea. Water in the ears and itchy ear drums were common place for me. Just a tip: (Which I should have heeded for my own benefit); use clean earplugs when swimming in public pools. Don't try to clean your ears out with cotton buds, etc.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I just turned 50, and for some reason my body decided to give me tinnitus as a birthday present. I woke up last Wednesday and there it was - a constant high-pitched whine in my head that hasn't left since. I saw the doctor yesterday, and he flushed my ears out to remove a lot of wax. That did reduce the volume significantly, and I thought that would be it and left the doctor's office a happy man. But then last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with that whine at full volume again. Very frustrating -- I'm still in the stage where I have not accepted this, and hoping that I will not have to live with it for the rest of my life. One positive sign -- I did do the "faucet test" and it did mask the tinnitus; so I recognize that things could be much worse. I'm going back to the doctor later this week, just to see if they can figure out any cause, as this came on very suddenly. Thanks for the info on this site.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?