Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Comment from: dave, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I am retired from law enforcement and early on went to the firing range without ear protection and have ridden a Harley for years. I guess this must be the cause that came on one month ago and although on occasion have no sound for about an hour, it is there all the time. Ibuprofen does help at night. I tried Lypo-flaviniod Plus which helped at first but they tell you to take it for several months (profit for them I guess). If the doctors do not know what causes it how can they treat it or try and treat it? It is the leading cause for disability from the military now, so you would think someone would be working on a cure.

Published: April 14

I've had tinnitus for about three years. I woke up one day and I thought I was losing my mind. I went to the doctor and he checked my ears, my heart and the pressure in my neck just to make sure it wasn't anything serious. My doctor indicated that there isn't really a known cause or cure. As long as I'm listening to music, the TV, or talking to people, I don't really notice the noise. Once it gets quiet, the annoying noise begins.

Comment from: Dave C, 65-74 Male Published: March 09

Thank you for clear, useful information including the diagram of the ear. I am a tinnitus sufferer and in the older group. I believe that I may now be feeling the effects of an active life as a keen swimmer and lover of the sea. Water in the ears and itchy ear drums were common place for me. Just a tip: (Which I should have heeded for my own benefit); use clean earplugs when swimming in public pools. Don't try to clean your ears out with cotton buds, etc.

Comment from: Jim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I just turned 50, and for some reason my body decided to give me tinnitus as a birthday present. I woke up last Wednesday and there it was - a constant high-pitched whine in my head that hasn't left since. I saw the doctor yesterday, and he flushed my ears out to remove a lot of wax. That did reduce the volume significantly, and I thought that would be it and left the doctor's office a happy man. But then last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with that whine at full volume again. Very frustrating -- I'm still in the stage where I have not accepted this, and hoping that I will not have to live with it for the rest of my life. One positive sign -- I did do the "faucet test" and it did mask the tinnitus; so I recognize that things could be much worse. I'm going back to the doctor later this week, just to see if they can figure out any cause, as this came on very suddenly. Thanks for the info on this site.

Comment from: Rob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Am 66 years young, and have had, what I now know as tinnitus, "all my life". I have never known a day without it, in both ears. It's constant, continual, noise. It was only a few years ago that I even found out that this was not normal. All those years, I just thought everyone had these noises, and that it was perfectly normal. Now that I have become aware of tinnitus, and have come to learn more about it, I've been able to accept it, as well as my family and friends. And come to find out, some of my friends have it also, but to a lesser degree. I've never meet anyone, yet, that has it to the degree that I do, or has had it all their life like I have. But I'm sure that there are lots of folks who are just like me out there. I agree with those who listen so soft, restful, sounds at night. It does help. But, the most annoying part of all this is that the level of noise, and more importantly, the "pitch" of the noise, will cancel out certain sounds, or syllables, when someone is talking. This can be very annoying, and frustrating, at times, because I will need to ask them to repeat themselves to make sure I have heard correctly. My hearing has been tested, and is fine. But sometimes people think my hearing is bad when, right in the middle of a key phrase, their voice level, and pitch, causes me to miss a key part. Likewise, when listening to music, a "Low G" is hard for me to distinguish, and a "High G" almost disappears completely, being that my ear noise seems to be at that same "G" level. Interesting! Well, I've rambled on long enough. Just wanted to share it. Thanks for your attention.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I, too, am in the military. I am a fighter pilot. I use hearing protection 99% of the time. On one occasion, I jumped in the back of a pickup on top of a pile of equipment to catch a ride out to the jet. On the way, we passed by a flight of F-16's on the ramp with engines running. I had to hold on to the truck rails to keep from falling out. I was exposed to severe noise and developed tinnitus from it. A few months later, my flight doc recommended I take 200mg of Ibuprofen every morning and night for constant neck and back pain. I've done so for 10 years. My tinnitus disappeared in the mean time. Last week, another flight doc told me to stop the Ibuprofen to avoid harm to the lining of my stomach. He told me to take a small aspirin everyday due to my age to avoid heart issues. I complied that evening, and my tinnitus came roaring back that night. I only took one tiny aspirin, so high dose is not the cause. I have stopped the aspirin, and have begun to take ibuprofen again. It took a couple of days to figure it out, and a few more to decide how to proceed. I tried going without either for a few days. I've been on ibuprofen for 3 days now - still have tinnitus. Hopefully, it'll go away in a few weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?