Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Comment from: Rob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Am 66 years young, and have had, what I now know as tinnitus, "all my life". I have never known a day without it, in both ears. It's constant, continual, noise. It was only a few years ago that I even found out that this was not normal. All those years, I just thought everyone had these noises, and that it was perfectly normal. Now that I have become aware of tinnitus, and have come to learn more about it, I've been able to accept it, as well as my family and friends. And come to find out, some of my friends have it also, but to a lesser degree. I've never meet anyone, yet, that has it to the degree that I do, or has had it all their life like I have. But I'm sure that there are lots of folks who are just like me out there. I agree with those who listen so soft, restful, sounds at night. It does help. But, the most annoying part of all this is that the level of noise, and more importantly, the "pitch" of the noise, will cancel out certain sounds, or syllables, when someone is talking. This can be very annoying, and frustrating, at times, because I will need to ask them to repeat themselves to make sure I have heard correctly. My hearing has been tested, and is fine. But sometimes people think my hearing is bad when, right in the middle of a key phrase, their voice level, and pitch, causes me to miss a key part. Likewise, when listening to music, a "Low G" is hard for me to distinguish, and a "High G" almost disappears completely, being that my ear noise seems to be at that same "G" level. Interesting! Well, I've rambled on long enough. Just wanted to share it. Thanks for your attention.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I, too, am in the military. I am a fighter pilot. I use hearing protection 99% of the time. On one occasion, I jumped in the back of a pickup on top of a pile of equipment to catch a ride out to the jet. On the way, we passed by a flight of F-16's on the ramp with engines running. I had to hold on to the truck rails to keep from falling out. I was exposed to severe noise and developed tinnitus from it. A few months later, my flight doc recommended I take 200mg of Ibuprofen every morning and night for constant neck and back pain. I've done so for 10 years. My tinnitus disappeared in the mean time. Last week, another flight doc told me to stop the Ibuprofen to avoid harm to the lining of my stomach. He told me to take a small aspirin everyday due to my age to avoid heart issues. I complied that evening, and my tinnitus came roaring back that night. I only took one tiny aspirin, so high dose is not the cause. I have stopped the aspirin, and have begun to take ibuprofen again. It took a couple of days to figure it out, and a few more to decide how to proceed. I tried going without either for a few days. I've been on ibuprofen for 3 days now - still have tinnitus. Hopefully, it'll go away in a few weeks.

Comment from: trev, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

Other readers are right: When you come to terms with tinnitus and accept it, life becomes better. An ear specialist advised me to accept it as a fried that will never leave you. I found in the early stages of it, to help me sleep at night, I purchased a CD of running water and heavy rain. I put head phones under my pillow and this seemed to help as the noise of the rain masked the hissing in my ear and helped me sleep.

Comment from: Codee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I'm in advanced age, but have had a loss of hearing in one ear. Nevertheless, I encounter up to five sounds in both ears, and I have had this for 30 years. During the day it usually does not bother me, but at night it sometime wakes me. What makes it worse? Aspirin and caffeine seem to enhance the noises, therefore I avoid aspirin and watch caffeine in soda....also, I try to eliminate salt. Good luck to all.

Comment from: monkey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

My motorcycle accident resulted in a fracture of C2 vertebrae in neck due to a hard blow to the head wearing a helmet...I have this lingering high pitched squeal in both ears. The sound varies in volume but is always apparent. The suggested Tinnitus treatments have had no effect whatsoever...

Comment from: b226, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I haven't been to a doctor yet, but the research I have done points to Tinnitus. I was a bartender at a club for 9 years and I am definitely hearing impaired from that. I constantly feel like I need to shake water out of my ears. There is a throbbing every few minutes that sounds similar to my neighbors' base. It also makes me feel a bit dizzy.

Comment from: fittinguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have had Tinnitus in my left ear for over 30 years. I was diagnosed with Meneres as well. It has come and gone over the years, generally associated with a degree of stress. The vertigo has been very limited but when it hits, wow! For over a year now, the ringing has been constant and never ending. I am currently working with an ENT Specialist. My hearing is 2/3 gone in the left ear. We have ruled out any physical abnormalities and have tried diuretics, decongestants, and prednisone. No relief. The prednisone did, for a short time reduce the ringing. I am searching for anything that will help stop the ringing.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?