Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Comment from: Codee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I'm in advanced age, but have had a loss of hearing in one ear. Nevertheless, I encounter up to five sounds in both ears, and I have had this for 30 years. During the day it usually does not bother me, but at night it sometime wakes me. What makes it worse? Aspirin and caffeine seem to enhance the noises, therefore I avoid aspirin and watch caffeine in soda....also, I try to eliminate salt. Good luck to all.

Comment from: monkey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

My motorcycle accident resulted in a fracture of C2 vertebrae in neck due to a hard blow to the head wearing a helmet...I have this lingering high pitched squeal in both ears. The sound varies in volume but is always apparent. The suggested Tinnitus treatments have had no effect whatsoever...

Comment from: b226, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I haven't been to a doctor yet, but the research I have done points to Tinnitus. I was a bartender at a club for 9 years and I am definitely hearing impaired from that. I constantly feel like I need to shake water out of my ears. There is a throbbing every few minutes that sounds similar to my neighbors' base. It also makes me feel a bit dizzy.

Comment from: fittinguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I have had Tinnitus in my left ear for over 30 years. I was diagnosed with Meneres as well. It has come and gone over the years, generally associated with a degree of stress. The vertigo has been very limited but when it hits, wow! For over a year now, the ringing has been constant and never ending. I am currently working with an ENT Specialist. My hearing is 2/3 gone in the left ear. We have ruled out any physical abnormalities and have tried diuretics, decongestants, and prednisone. No relief. The prednisone did, for a short time reduce the ringing. I am searching for anything that will help stop the ringing.

Comment from: I Surrender, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm 24 years old; I've had Tinnitus since I was 12. I hear noise on the right ear (sounds like air escaping) I have seen 20 doctors and they have all told me that there are no problems with my ears and it's not caused by illness or whatsoever and have not recommended any medication or techniques to reduce the noise that I'm experiencing. This is a nightmare for me I really miss a quite sleep at night. The noise would strangely stop when I actually put pressure on the vein of my neck using my fingers. I really pray to God that this noise stops one day as I still have hope even after 12 years.

Comment from: candfg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 14

I found this to be very informative, although disappointing. Apparently I will have to live with this condition with very little hope for relief. I may try Ginko-Biloba. I advise any military person, or persons involved in business related to noise to use ear protection. My years in a Navy engine room may have caused my problem.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?