Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Comment from: paolo, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I injured my back and was prescribed ibuprofen. My tinnitus started after taking it, I have a constant ringing in my ears, bearable only by busying and distracting myself. It does not wake me up but once awake it is a constant nuisance.

Comment from: farmway lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I had a severe head injury several years ago and the tinnitus is getting worse and louder. It is in my left ear only and is a high pitch like a fire alarm.

Comment from: Phantom ring, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

My tinnitus was caused by descending on an airline flight from 12,000 ASL to Sea Level with a plugged Eustachian tube from a common cold.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Mine started with a car accident when I was rear ended by a truck. I was diagnosed with a whip lash and concussion. The loud noise in my ear was a very high pitch, high frequency squealing mixed in a mass of static.

Comment from: theheadtrout, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

Woke up and something akin to static or feedback was going on in my left ear. It ceased after 2 - 3 hours.

Comment from: canuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My tinnitus was the result of whiplash in a car accident. Never had any problems before, but now it drives me crazy and I get dizzy or light headed.

Comment from: Paulina, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am coping with my tinnitus with noise. It is the most bothersome when it is quiet -- and when I am trying to go to sleep at night...so I leave TV on to fall asleep. I think I had this as a kid and didn't really think there was a name for it. I just remember the sound which is back now that I am in my forties.

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

Since having surgery for nasal polyps a year ago, I have suffered with blocked ears and a constant ringing which I have been told is tinnitus.

Comment from: mld, 45-54 Female Published: September 06

I've been bothered by a noise in my left ear for 3 weeks now. It's similar to that of being plugged or being affected by elavation. However, the easy fix of just plugging your nose and blowing does NOT work nor does chewing gum or yawning and the morning is the worst. At times it feels as though my balance is affected but it just makes me feel stupid or not quite with it. I'm not certain, but I think I had a slightly sore throat just before it came on.

Comment from: Shelmy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I've had tinnitus since 3 months now. It is a nonstop sound similar to high volt electricity in a wire. I have done many tests including audiometry, tympanogram, CT brain and MRI brain and all are within normal. I have noticed it increases early in morning or when I lay down my head. I am not sure if it is related to my hobby of swimming.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?