Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Comment from: dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I don't have any idea how my tinnitus started. I have had it as long as I can remember. I am losing my hearing now and wearing hearing aids. I lost my hearing when I was in the army and shot rifles on a rifle range at 30 below weather in Alaska. I think the tinnitus started then. I try to ignore it but at times it is very bothersome. There is no solution approved by doctors so we are at a loss to cure it.

Comment from: Desperation, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I managed a print room for 20+ years until retirement. I have hearing loss and extremely bad tinnitus. I wear two hearing aids. I've had tinnitus for 19 years. Bedtime is the worst as I hear three or four different noises at same time with difficulty getting to sleep. Waking during the night means I don't get back to sleep, so tired I'm tired the next day.

Comment from: v65honda5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I served in the Air Force in Vietnam. I dealt with a lot of jet noise and was very close to exploding bombs.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I have on occasion suffered mild tinnitus in my ears, sometimes after being out in the cold for long periods or after long periods of traveling. The sounds go after a while and all is normal again. However, occasionally I get a pulsing in one ear, as if I can hear my heart beating.

Comment from: Gayle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I noticed the ringing in my ears after donating platelets. I had donated many times prior to that day without the problem, so I thought it might not be related. The tinnitus diminished and went away after a couple days. I donated again a couple weeks later and this time needed to eat several Tums for the tingling in my lips and tongue. The tinnitus returned and has not gone away. It has been almost 2 weeks. I have another appointment to donate but think I will cancel. I am suspecting the anticoagulant as the culprit.

Comment from: Hanah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have had tinnitus for as far back as I can remember. When I was very young I had some very bad ear infections and also a broken ear drum. I am now 63 and remember the whining noise as far back as 3 or 4 years old. It is quite loud and resembles the noise made by high voltage electrical wires. I listen to the radio constantly to drown it out.

Comment from: paolo, 55-64 Male Published: January 06

I injured my back and was prescribed ibuprofen. My tinnitus started after taking it, I have a constant ringing in my ears, bearable only by busying and distracting myself. It does not wake me up but once awake it is a constant nuisance.

Comment from: farmway lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I had a severe head injury several years ago and the tinnitus is getting worse and louder. It is in my left ear only and is a high pitch like a fire alarm.

Comment from: Phantom ring, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

My tinnitus was caused by descending on an airline flight from 12,000 ASL to Sea Level with a plugged Eustachian tube from a common cold.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Mine started with a car accident when I was rear ended by a truck. I was diagnosed with a whip lash and concussion. The loud noise in my ear was a very high pitch, high frequency squealing mixed in a mass of static.

Comment from: theheadtrout, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

Woke up and something akin to static or feedback was going on in my left ear. It ceased after 2 - 3 hours.

Comment from: canuck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My tinnitus was the result of whiplash in a car accident. Never had any problems before, but now it drives me crazy and I get dizzy or light headed.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?