Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Comment from: Paulina, Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am coping with my tinnitus with noise. It is the most bothersome when it is quiet -- and when I am trying to go to sleep at night...so I leave TV on to fall asleep. I think I had this as a kid and didn't really think there was a name for it. I just remember the sound which is back now that I am in my forties.

Comment from: Poppy, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 15

Since having surgery for nasal polyps a year ago, I have suffered with blocked ears and a constant ringing which I have been told is tinnitus.

Comment from: mld, 45-54 Female Published: September 06

I've been bothered by a noise in my left ear for 3 weeks now. It's similar to that of being plugged or being affected by elavation. However, the easy fix of just plugging your nose and blowing does NOT work nor does chewing gum or yawning and the morning is the worst. At times it feels as though my balance is affected but it just makes me feel stupid or not quite with it. I'm not certain, but I think I had a slightly sore throat just before it came on.

Comment from: Shelmy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I've had tinnitus since 3 months now. It is a nonstop sound similar to high volt electricity in a wire. I have done many tests including audiometry, tympanogram, CT brain and MRI brain and all are within normal. I have noticed it increases early in morning or when I lay down my head. I am not sure if it is related to my hobby of swimming.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?