Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Comment from: Rulex, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I have an arterial blockage and it might be the culprit from what I've read so far, I'll see when I get the stenting done and see if it goes away. I've had the worst habits for a long time and I think it's catching up to me. I love salt, I've been smoking for too long and lived a sedentary life for quite a while. I feel for you all, this thing is very annoying.

Comment from: Jen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am in my late 60s and I have had this tinnitus problem for years. I have had both ears tested, and my inner ear is damaged. The hearing aids only help for certain sounds. My family is trying to be helpful every time I say, 'what did you say?' Certain words when they speak I cannot understand, thus sometimes the whole sentence is lost to me, sad. Like all the others, night time is the worst. Thank goodness for closed captioning! Now that I have read all the other testimonies, I can accept it a little better.

Comment from: joyanne042, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fainted and fell on my back hitting my head on the concrete and causing a cut on the middle of my lower head. It has never healed properly and I have ringing in my ears, can't sleep well, have bloating in bowels, eyes are always tired but the eye doctor says they are very healthy. Thank you for any help you can give me, my doctor appointment is over a week away still although I have been waiting several weeks now.

Comment from: badf15, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

Childhood head injury caused hearing loss in both ears. Due to the various symptoms of Tinnitus (lack of focus/concentration, dizziness etc). I have had to stop working. The loud sounds have caused vertigo and have brought me to tears. I am taking medication for the vertigo and am told it should eventually help the tinnitus. I am striving to be more mindful of my activities and what I eat etc. I think about people who are dealing with worse and resolve that I can strive to deal with this until I am healed.

Comment from: grandma4, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I developed tinnitus after an upper respiratory infection. I was given an antibiotic for the infection. A few days later I woke hearing the ticking of a clock. I had no ticking clock. I went to my internist and he said I had fluid in my middle ear. Months later the noise was still driving me crazy. I went to 3 ear specialists, they all said no fluid. I had CT, MRI and some other tests; all negative for anything. I only hear the noises in my left ear. I hear every heart beat and every skipped or rapid beat. I went to my cardiologist. He can find no connection. It's worse at night when I lie down so I sleep sitting up and take an over the counter sleeping aid. That works. At least I get a few hours of sleep. I also hear static when I touch my ear or pull on the ear lobe. I do wear hearing aids. It's driving me crazy. I tried Lipo-Flavonoid. That didn't help.

Comment from: Daisy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My tinnitus started 10 years ago and I do not know the cause. From the outset I decided that I would take control of the situation and not let the tinnitus take control of me; now I only hear it when I speak about it.

Comment from: rudedog, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have lived with tinnitus for a very long time and like everyone else my doctor says there is no cure. My head noise resembles high tension electrical wires or defective fluorescent lamps. The noise seems to originate not from my ears, but from my head. I noticed only one other sufferer described his experience that way. Recently I started having bouts with vision problems and my doctors suspect a form of migraine. I was prescribed Nortriptyline which made the head noise much louder. I stopped the Nortriptyline but the noise is still loud.

Comment from: old guy, 75 or over Male Published: January 07

I had earwax impacted against my eardrum. I had it removed two days ago. My ear is still ringing.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of learn more >>
Scuba Diving: Barotrauma and Decompression Sickness
Barotrauma/Decompression Sickness Barotrauma and decompression sickness refers to medical problems that occur during diving. These problems include decompression illness (the bends), external ea...learn more >>
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears):

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?