Viewer Comments: Tinnitus - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Causes

What was the cause of your tinnitus?

Comment from: joyanne042, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I fainted and fell on my back hitting my head on the concrete and causing a cut on the middle of my lower head. It has never healed properly and I have ringing in my ears, can't sleep well, have bloating in bowels, eyes are always tired but the eye doctor says they are very healthy. Thank you for any help you can give me, my doctor appointment is over a week away still although I have been waiting several weeks now.

Comment from: badf15, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

Childhood head injury caused hearing loss in both ears. Due to the various symptoms of Tinnitus (lack of focus/concentration, dizziness etc). I have had to stop working. The loud sounds have caused vertigo and have brought me to tears. I am taking medication for the vertigo and am told it should eventually help the tinnitus. I am striving to be more mindful of my activities and what I eat etc. I think about people who are dealing with worse and resolve that I can strive to deal with this until I am healed.

Comment from: rudedog, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have lived with tinnitus for a very long time and like everyone else my doctor says there is no cure. My head noise resembles high tension electrical wires or defective fluorescent lamps. The noise seems to originate not from my ears, but from my head. I noticed only one other sufferer described his experience that way. Recently I started having bouts with vision problems and my doctors suspect a form of migraine. I was prescribed Nortriptyline which made the head noise much louder. I stopped the Nortriptyline but the noise is still loud.

Related Reading: Nortriptyline

Comment from: old guy, 75 or over Male Published: January 07

I had earwax impacted against my eardrum. I had it removed two days ago. My ear is still ringing.

Comment from: dan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I don't have any idea how my tinnitus started. I have had it as long as I can remember. I am losing my hearing now and wearing hearing aids. I lost my hearing when I was in the army and shot rifles on a rifle range at 30 below weather in Alaska. I think the tinnitus started then. I try to ignore it but at times it is very bothersome. There is no solution approved by doctors so we are at a loss to cure it.

Comment from: Desperation, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I managed a print room for 20+ years until retirement. I have hearing loss and extremely bad tinnitus. I wear two hearing aids. I've had tinnitus for 19 years. Bedtime is the worst as I hear three or four different noises at same time with difficulty getting to sleep. Waking during the night means I don't get back to sleep, so tired I'm tired the next day.

Comment from: v65honda5, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I served in the Air Force in Vietnam. I dealt with a lot of jet noise and was very close to exploding bombs.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

I have on occasion suffered mild tinnitus in my ears, sometimes after being out in the cold for long periods or after long periods of traveling. The sounds go after a while and all is normal again. However, occasionally I get a pulsing in one ear, as if I can hear my heart beating.

Comment from: Gayle, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I noticed the ringing in my ears after donating platelets. I had donated many times prior to that day without the problem, so I thought it might not be related. The tinnitus diminished and went away after a couple days. I donated again a couple weeks later and this time needed to eat several Tums for the tingling in my lips and tongue. The tinnitus returned and has not gone away. It has been almost 2 weeks. I have another appointment to donate but think I will cancel. I am suspecting the anticoagulant as the culprit.

Must Read Articles Related to Tinnitus

Aspirin Poisoning
Aspirin Poisoning Aspirin poisoning is either accidental or intentional. Symptoms of aspirin poisoning include ringing in the ears, impaired hearing, rapid breathing, dehydration...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss To understand hearing loss it is important to understand how normal hearing takes place. There are 2 different pathways by which sound waves produce the sensati...learn more >>
Labyrinthitis
Labyrinthitis Labyrinthitis means an inflammation of the inner ear structure called the labyrinth. Sometimes the term labyrinthitis refers to other causes of inner ear proble...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus:

Tinnitus - Experience

Please describe your experience with tinnitus.

Tinnitus - Medical Treatment

What medical treatments have been effective for tinnitus?

Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?