Tips for Success With the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) Diet
Use the following tips for success with the cholesterol-lowering Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes (TLC) diet.
- Work with your doctor on a plan to lower your cholesterol through diet.
- Gather detailed, easy-to-understand educational materials about the diet.
- Gather information about menus, cooking classes, support groups, books, and videos.
- Get support from your family in making changes in your diet.
- Think ahead and make realistic and customized meal plans.
- Get the help of a registered dietitian if you have questions about the TLC diet.
- Change the way you plan, prepare, and eat every meal.
- Learn how to read and understand food labels. Look for the amount of saturated fat per serving, and determine its percentage of your total saturated fat intake for the day. "Low-fat" does not always mean what it seems. Some labels measure fat content by weight rather than as a percentage of the calories in a serving.
- Limit fast foods. It can be difficult to choose a low-fat alternative.
- Exercise. Always consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Carl Orringer, MD - Cardiology, Clinical Lipidology|
|Last Revised||July 2, 2010|