Tips for Your Doctor Appointment
To get the most out of an appointment with your health professional:
- Listen carefully to what your health professional says. Make sure you understand what you are told about any diagnosis or treatment.
- Ask questions. If you don't understand something your health professional says, ask for it to be repeated in a different way.
- Be honest. If your values, beliefs, fears, or concerns may interfere with a treatment that is suggested, talk with your health professional about it. Other treatment options may be available.
- Take an advocate. Have a family member or friend with you during your appointment, if possible. That person can take notes, ask questions to clarify information, and help you remember what your health professional says.
- Ask for instructions. Before leaving your health professional's office, make sure you know what you are supposed to do to care for yourself. Ask for written information or instructions.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Brian D. O'Brien, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Last Revised||May 27, 2011|