Total Hip Replacement (cont.)
Total Hip Replacement Preparation
- Talk to someone who has undergone hip replacement surgery to become familiar with the procedure and the recovery period.
- Your doctor will evaluate your overall health to ensure that you are well enough to safely withstand the surgery. Any unstable medical conditions or infections must be treated before surgery.
- Allow time to rest after the operation and find people to help with your care and daily activities for the first few weeks.
- Because you may need blood transfusions during the operation or recovery period, you may want to donate some of your own blood before the procedure to be given back to you.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight on the day of your surgery. Follow any other instructions your doctor gives you.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/17/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Total Hip Replacement
Osteoarthritis is not a single disease but rather the end result of a variety of disorders leading to the structural or functional failure of 1 or more of your ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement: