Viewer Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.

Comment from: Rafe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

I had a total hip replacement feb 29th 2012. I'm still off work and have a pinching pain in my groin. I work out every day and I still can't walk good my femur was fractured during surgery.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I am six weeks into recovery from revision surgery on my right hip. My initial surgery was performed May 2001 replacing a right hip that had degenerated to bone-on-bone. I was 56 then and the pain from arthritis was limiting a previously active life that had included running five marathons after age 50. The relief from that first surgery was virtually immediate -- I was back in the office in ten days and back on a bike (very cautiously) in less than three weeks. About two years ago I began to have pain again in my right hip. My orthopedist recommended a series of exercises and physical therapies to build up the muscles around the hip. I stayed with the exercises but the pain steadily increased to the point where it limited my activity. At my annual routine physical this fall I asked for an opinion from another orthopedist. X-rays showed that my prosthesis had failed. I was suffering osteolysis related to the deterioration of my poly cup. I was told I would need revision surgery -- a diagnosis confirmed by two other surgeons including my initial doctor. During revision my acetabular shell and cup were removed, the deteriorated bone around my acetabulum and trochanter was removed and replaced with bone graft, a new shell and cross-linked poly cup were installed, and the metal ball on my femoral stem was replaced by a ceramic ball. Recovery this time has been slower, but steady. My surgeon advises that the bone grafting process can take up to six months, and that I should "listen to my body" as I gradually increase my activity. I've been reading a lot online and this emedicine site is one of the most helpful I've found. Thanks.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I had a total hip replacement 6 months ago, and let me tell you it was the best thing I could have done. No more pain also no problems after, I was back to work in about 2 months. I would do it again if needed to.

Must Read Articles Related to Total Hip Replacement

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis Osteoarthritis is not a single disease but rather the end result of a variety of disorders leading to the structural or functional failure of 1 or more of your ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?