Viewer Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: meee, Published: July 23

My mom had hip replacement six months ago. Right now, she still has problems sitting for more than 20 minutes, she feels the ball is pointing at her bone that cause her a lot of pain, but the surgeon said everything looks fine.

Comment from: Pearl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a total hip replacement in 2012. My surgeon said the lateral approach was the best and would offer me the least restrictions of all types of hip replacements. My recovery time was four months to be able to return to work, and another five months before I was able to have days without pain. This was mainly due to a good chiropractor. I have been reading more and more about the anterior approach to hip replacements and what I have read indicates that this approach has better results than any other approach. I wish my doctor had let me know that this approach was better even if it meant I went to another surgeon.

Comment from: kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 52 years old and two weeks ago I had a total left hip replacement due to the hip being bone-on-bone and very bad arthritis. I need my right hip and both knees done, also due to arthritis. At a time when I should be enjoying life, this is what I have to look forward to.

Comment from: Titania, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

My back and hips hurt for years but at age 56 the pain got so bad I went to an arthritis doctor. He told me he was prescribing a rolling walker which I would need to use until I decided to get my hips replaced. I didn't believe him but as the months went by my hips got worse and I was using the walker and a wheelchair. I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon who showed me the x-rays of bone-on-bone and asked when to schedule the surgeries. Turns out I had hip dysplasia he said and congratulated me on making it as far as I did. I'm 1 year post having both hips replaced now and I'm able to do a lot I couldn't do for years. Don't wait as long as I did; I just didn't want to accept it.

Comment from: jackie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I'm 57. In 1978 I fell off a horse and landed on my left hip. Despite doing physical therapy on and off from the late 1980's onward, no treatments lasted. By about 2008 I was losing the ability to raise my left leg and riding my horse became a trial as my range of motion eroded. Finally it reached a tipping point in 2010 and I developed severe inward rotation of my left leg. The level of pain went up and I lost the ability to really function well for daily activities around my farm. My orthopedic doctor requested an X-ray and an MRI. They were both pretty horrifying. He says I should have had the hip replaced at least 5 years ago. Finally I'm getting it replaced the first week of August. I can hardly wait. Nothing I take gets rid of the agonizing deep grinding bone pain. Constant pain is really exhausting. It can't happen soon enough! I am looking forward to getting my life back.

Must Read Articles Related to Total Hip Replacement

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis Osteoarthritis is not a single disease but rather the end result of a variety of disorders leading to the structural or functional failure of 1 or more of your ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.