Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Comment from: Helena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have now had several of these transient ischemic attacks but they are getting longer. Initially I lost vision on one side in one eye, which resumed after 40 minutes and I had a bad headache. The second time the right side of my face dropped and I had numbness in my right arm. The 3rd time I had speech difficulties and numbness and drooping of my face arm and leg. This lasted about 30 minutes and was extremely scary. Then just 2 months later I had just finished a meal out and I thought I was going to faint. However it continued and was like I was drowning, I had the rushing in the ears, felt hot to the extreme, then face dropped on right side and I had pins and needles down right arm and leg. I also thought I was going to lose control of my bowels. This lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and again was very scary.

Comment from: snolandr1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) last November. Now I have Horner's syndrome. I don't feel good and after USD 8000 in imaging the doctors gave up. I'm ready too.

Comment from: Bill W., 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My wife had a TIA. She was unable to stand. Her speech was badly slurred, and her arms and legs were trembling. We went to hospital immediately. After a couple of hours, her speech began to return to normal. Trembling gradually subsided, but she was very weak and unable to stand on her own. She was in hospital for three weeks for physiotherapy. She had no recollection of any of these events for four days. CT scans showed no sign of hemorrhage of the brain. Sadly this was the beginning of the decline of her health and she passed away almost three years ago.

Comment from: lee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had garbled speech for about a minute. I have a lesion in the tentorium of the brain.

Comment from: Muthur60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was out walking on the trails with my friend. We were about four miles from our starting point when I started to feel lightheaded. Suddenly, I lost vision in my right eye. It was like a curtain drawing closed but starting from the bottom of my eye. After several seconds my vision came back, albeit spotty, then after a few minutes it came back fully. After that I felt okay to walk back. I probably shouldn't have but did not realize it at the time that I had had a min-stroke (TIA).

Comment from: tom, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

I have had two experiences. My left side seems to be the problem area, as it begins with a sickening feeling and weakness. It lasts less than a minute, then I'm back to normal.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?