Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Comment from: OlinMc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 85 years old, but had about 3 TIA's in my mid teens. No more until 1 at about age 29, then no more until about age 70. Since then, I've averaged 3 or 4 per year. All begin alike, I note a visual distortion first, then it moves to numbness somewhere on the left side, maybe the cheek, or fingers, or other. It can move in 10 minutes to where I might not control my movements and will fall. Several trips to the ER have occurred, with my family doctor involved. All sorts of tests show no serious problem, I've been on BP meds and Plavix for many years, still have these every so often. NOW, of the most valuable use, my family doctor suggested several years ago to INCREASE my CO-2 in the blood to make the blood vessels enlarge, in the area of the brain where the clot/constriction occurred. He suggested breathing in and out of a plastic bag, until I had to catch a fresh breath, and keep doing it until the TIA was checked early on. That has worked for me for at least 9 out of 10 such events. Unfortunately, the latest occurred when I was sound asleep, and I didn't wake up to use the bag to breathe in and out of. As a result its effects were serious: Severe headache for the entire next day, and visual distortion still with me after over a week.

Comment from: TIAsurvivor65, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The vision in my right eye caused everything I saw to turn sideways. My left eye had normal sight. My speech was slurred and it was difficult to walk. I had to use both arms to try to pull myself into bed. I was very lucky because I took a nap for an hour and woke up with the same symptoms. It was then my husband took me to the hospital. The eyesight readjusted about two hours after on-set and my speech was somewhat slurred for about two weeks afterward. They were never able to figure out why this happened. I was 40 years old and no history of high blood pressure or high cholesterol. It could have turned out very badly because I took a nap instead of going directly to the hospital. I just never imagined that I was having a stroke. I was very lucky.

Comment from: JL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my first TIA in 2007. It started with dizziness and almost passing out. The MRIs have shown many mini strokes and the last one I had in 2012 left me with weakness on the left side and my balance is off. I can't walk a straight line.

Comment from: dm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had numbness in the left side of my face, and a strong pins and needles sensation in my tongue. My left eye felt as if the corner was being tugged down and my hand trembled. About a half hour later I had pressure in the center of my chest.

Comment from: teddy778, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

The onset of my TIA was confusion while working at a computer. Could not understand why I was unable to make changes to a document. Then realized I was unable to control my right arm. It basically was a dead weight in my lap and I started sweating profusely. Was able to stand and walk after 2 - 3 minutes of initial onset, but was weak and unstable on my feet. Made it to our nursing office with assistance where my BP was 200/something. BP came down to 150/something in a few minutes. Was admitted to a hospital where CT scan was clean but ultrasound showed my left carotid artery totally blocked. An angiogram confirmed the ultrasound results. I was placed on Plavix and aspirin.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 52 years old. I woke up feeling like I had the best sleep in a long time. I was taking ornaments off my Christmas tree and decided to go have breakfast instead and finish what I was doing later after work. I had a cup of coffee earlier. So got some cereal and coffee and sat down to watch early news when I felt I couldn't swallow and milk flowing out of my mouth feeling exhausted, confused and very sleepy. I reach over for my coffee it felt like a stroke light motion and I couldn't pick up my cup w/my right arm, but the numbness on my lips was on my left side of my face, I tried to call for help but my speech was slurred. I managed to get off the chair and made my way to where my husband was sleeping pulling the blankets off him somehow getting weaker and panicking more and more. It lasted about 30 min. Being in denial and afraid to call in to work, I took a shower still hoping it was a bad nightmare I went to work and had another episode. This time I was taken to the hospital. They did a CT scan, MRI and a heart scan. Everything was negative. I was dismissed after six days in the.

Comment from: chuck0454, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my first TIA last Tuesday. I could not speak in a complete sentence, nor was I saying what I thought I was saying. I felt weak and disorganized. My hand writing was like a kindergarten student. My wife took me to the hospital where they performed CAT scans and kept me overnight. I could not state my birthday even though I thought I was. Wednesday morning I was normal, answering questions, including my birthday. They performed MRI, MRA, stress tests and drew 5 vials of blood. I still feel weak and occasionally dizzy.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?