Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

...
Comment from: JL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I had my first TIA in 2007. It started with dizziness and almost passing out. The MRIs have shown many mini strokes and the last one I had in 2012 left me with weakness on the left side and my balance is off. I can't walk a straight line.

Comment from: dm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I had numbness in the left side of my face, and a strong pins and needles sensation in my tongue. My left eye felt as if the corner was being tugged down and my hand trembled. About a half hour later I had pressure in the center of my chest.

Comment from: teddy778, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

The onset of my TIA was confusion while working at a computer. Could not understand why I was unable to make changes to a document. Then realized I was unable to control my right arm. It basically was a dead weight in my lap and I started sweating profusely. Was able to stand and walk after 2 - 3 minutes of initial onset, but was weak and unstable on my feet. Made it to our nursing office with assistance where my BP was 200/something. BP came down to 150/something in a few minutes. Was admitted to a hospital where CT scan was clean but ultrasound showed my left carotid artery totally blocked. An angiogram confirmed the ultrasound results. I was placed on Plavix and aspirin.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 52 years old. I woke up feeling like I had the best sleep in a long time. I was taking ornaments off my Christmas tree and decided to go have breakfast instead and finish what I was doing later after work. I had a cup of coffee earlier. So got some cereal and coffee and sat down to watch early news when I felt I couldn't swallow and milk flowing out of my mouth feeling exhausted, confused and very sleepy. I reach over for my coffee it felt like a stroke light motion and I couldn't pick up my cup w/my right arm, but the numbness on my lips was on my left side of my face, I tried to call for help but my speech was slurred. I managed to get off the chair and made my way to where my husband was sleeping pulling the blankets off him somehow getting weaker and panicking more and more. It lasted about 30 min. Being in denial and afraid to call in to work, I took a shower still hoping it was a bad nightmare I went to work and had another episode. This time I was taken to the hospital. They did a CT scan, MRI and a heart scan. Everything was negative. I was dismissed after six days in the.

Comment from: chuck0454, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my first TIA last Tuesday. I could not speak in a complete sentence, nor was I saying what I thought I was saying. I felt weak and disorganized. My hand writing was like a kindergarten student. My wife took me to the hospital where they performed CAT scans and kept me overnight. I could not state my birthday even though I thought I was. Wednesday morning I was normal, answering questions, including my birthday. They performed MRI, MRA, stress tests and drew 5 vials of blood. I still feel weak and occasionally dizzy.

Comment from: walstleu, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 78 year old diabetic male. While driving on the interstate, my vision became very blurry, like looking through an etched window. I was able to pull my car to the side of the road, but my thoughts were fuzzy, and I was unsure of where the side of the road actually was. I waited about 2 minutes, my vision cleared, and I was able to drive home, and then to the ER. Since then I have had a number of vision tests, and my carotids and heart scanned and no major problems have been found. My caretaker diagnosed me with a TIA, and I have upgraded my cholesterol meds, My BP has always been normal and my diabetes is well controlled with insulin. I have had no further TIA attacks in the past 4 months.

Published: December 29

Two days ago I had my first TIA at age 49. It happened at 4:00 a.m. first my lips went numb I knew something was wrong I was visiting family and I sent my 14 yr old granddaughter upstairs for my son and by the time he got to me my right side was numb and all drawn up went to hospital by ambulance. It took 24 hours for me to return back to normal and my right leg is still weak.

Comment from: Trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a stroke in May of 2000, did not know I had one, but I was walking and fell flat on my face thinking I tripped over my pocket book which I held on my left arm. Went a whole week feeling tired going to my office working but kept losing my balance and went to the doctor. They immediately sent me to hospital where I had a CT scan and MRI and they found a small blockage on right side of my brain in the basal ganglia area. I was treated for that during my hospital stay and through therapy.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?