Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Comment from: knitbug11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I am a 55 year-old female. I suddenly lost my balance and fell into my 13 year-old daughter who was seated on a vanity table stool. She got up to allow me to sit down and told me later that my speech was slower. I wasn't aware of this, but remembered seeing double of everything, two dogs, two lamps, two beds. She asked me how many fingers she was holding up. I said four and she said "no, mom. Two." She immediately called my husband at work and to the ED we went. All scans CT, MRI, MRA were negative. I am already taking Zocor and that was doubled. At the time of the event, I chewed an aspirin even though this is really for a heart attack. I also take a daily 325 mg. aspirin. Also, during the event, I had a very euphoric feeling during the event and felt very relaxed. I am glad to hear that others my age or younger have experienced this.

Comment from: roberta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I may go as long as 2yrs without a TIA then I may have several. Mine begins with double vision and what I think I am saying is not what comes out. I then realize what I am saying does not make sense. I try to follow orders but my attention span is only seconds long. I have been hospitalized because one lasted over 8 hrs. No damage resulted that I knew of but recently I noticed the right upper lip disappeared into my mouth from drooping. My main concern afterwards is how tired I am because it usually takes 2 days to get my strength back.

Comment from: Groober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I was at a friend's house for dinner with my wife and when we were saying our good-byes I suddenly felt extremely dizzy. I made my way to the car and managed to get in the passenger seat. As my wife got in and started the car she looked over and I was slumped over in my seat, non responsive, grayish white and sweating buckets. After a minute or so I regained consciousness. My pulse was weak and I could not talk. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't get the words out. My arms and legs were numb and tingly for another 30 min or so, and the sweating subsided after about 15-20 min. The emergency was 30 min. away and by the time we got close enough to go I felt better and decided to go home. (Dummy). My doctor is now in the process of conducting further tests!

Comment from: mcstwogo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

When I had my TIA I was 44 years old. I had gotten up in the night to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden the entire left side of my body went completely numb. I couldn't speak and my left hand drew up. I had to wait a few minutes before I could finally speak enough to get my husband up to help me. I was a fool and didn't go to the doctor right away and ended up having to have a triple by-pass 3 months later. Then I had to have 2 stents, and I had a heart attack.

Comment from: April, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

The whole right side of my body went heavy, I couldn't move it, my face was saggy, and my husband noted my right eyebrow was lower than my left. I could barely speak and had an extremely hard time thinking. After 10 minutes my body felt okay, after an hour my speaking was better. I was an idiot and didn't go to emergency, but did see my doctor the next day. There was muscle weakness still in the right side. I am waiting for CT scan, an ECHO and a Doppler. I do not smoke, have lost over 100 lbs in the past 1.5 years, and I have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol so finding out why this happened and stopping it is main concern.

Comment from: FRANKPAR, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I am an 83 year old male. While standing in the bathroom after just arising in the morning, my left leg "gave out” and I lurched against the wall, trying to maintain my balance. My entire left side became numb, including my left arm which hung uselessly at my side. When trying to brush my teeth, I could not direct the toothbrush into my mouth. These symptoms lasted about three minutes. I was later driven to the hospital where I was admitted for an overnight stay and given numerous tests, including functional tests by a Neurologist. No further symptoms occurred. Diagnosis was that I have a 50% blockage in my right Carotid artery. It is assumed that a small particle of plaque broke off and traveled to my brain.

Comment from: yankee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

When I had my TIA, I had trouble talking with my wife. I knew what I wanted to say, but the words would not come out.

Comment from: anewk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I had congestive heart failure in 1998. Female symptoms of a heart attack are not always the same as the ones we all know to watch for so at the time I didn't know I was having one. Found out I have high blood pressure in 2007. I have huge problem with edema, taking 2 different diuretics (1 also helps with the HBP). My TIAs started in 2008. Most of the time they start with facial numbness; feeling nauseated and I get confusion sometimes. They are happening more often. I have had an echocardiogram in 2006 that showed a valve not opening and closing correctly. I live alone and worry about this sometimes. Tonight, my vision was so blurred I could not see to find phone to call for help. Because they are happening more often, I am having more tests done.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?