Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Comment from: walstleu, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 78 year old diabetic male. While driving on the interstate, my vision became very blurry, like looking through an etched window. I was able to pull my car to the side of the road, but my thoughts were fuzzy, and I was unsure of where the side of the road actually was. I waited about 2 minutes, my vision cleared, and I was able to drive home, and then to the ER. Since then I have had a number of vision tests, and my carotids and heart scanned and no major problems have been found. My caretaker diagnosed me with a TIA, and I have upgraded my cholesterol meds, My BP has always been normal and my diabetes is well controlled with insulin. I have had no further TIA attacks in the past 4 months.

Published: December 29

Two days ago I had my first TIA at age 49. It happened at 4:00 a.m. first my lips went numb I knew something was wrong I was visiting family and I sent my 14 yr old granddaughter upstairs for my son and by the time he got to me my right side was numb and all drawn up went to hospital by ambulance. It took 24 hours for me to return back to normal and my right leg is still weak.

Comment from: Trish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a stroke in May of 2000, did not know I had one, but I was walking and fell flat on my face thinking I tripped over my pocket book which I held on my left arm. Went a whole week feeling tired going to my office working but kept losing my balance and went to the doctor. They immediately sent me to hospital where I had a CT scan and MRI and they found a small blockage on right side of my brain in the basal ganglia area. I was treated for that during my hospital stay and through therapy.

Comment from: knitbug11, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I am a 55 year-old female. I suddenly lost my balance and fell into my 13 year-old daughter who was seated on a vanity table stool. She got up to allow me to sit down and told me later that my speech was slower. I wasn't aware of this, but remembered seeing double of everything, two dogs, two lamps, two beds. She asked me how many fingers she was holding up. I said four and she said "no, mom. Two." She immediately called my husband at work and to the ED we went. All scans CT, MRI, MRA were negative. I am already taking Zocor and that was doubled. At the time of the event, I chewed an aspirin even though this is really for a heart attack. I also take a daily 325 mg. aspirin. Also, during the event, I had a very euphoric feeling during the event and felt very relaxed. I am glad to hear that others my age or younger have experienced this.

Comment from: roberta, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I may go as long as 2yrs without a TIA then I may have several. Mine begins with double vision and what I think I am saying is not what comes out. I then realize what I am saying does not make sense. I try to follow orders but my attention span is only seconds long. I have been hospitalized because one lasted over 8 hrs. No damage resulted that I knew of but recently I noticed the right upper lip disappeared into my mouth from drooping. My main concern afterwards is how tired I am because it usually takes 2 days to get my strength back.

Comment from: Groober, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I was at a friend's house for dinner with my wife and when we were saying our good-byes I suddenly felt extremely dizzy. I made my way to the car and managed to get in the passenger seat. As my wife got in and started the car she looked over and I was slumped over in my seat, non responsive, grayish white and sweating buckets. After a minute or so I regained consciousness. My pulse was weak and I could not talk. I knew what I wanted to say but couldn't get the words out. My arms and legs were numb and tingly for another 30 min or so, and the sweating subsided after about 15-20 min. The emergency was 30 min. away and by the time we got close enough to go I felt better and decided to go home. (Dummy). My doctor is now in the process of conducting further tests!

Comment from: mcstwogo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

When I had my TIA I was 44 years old. I had gotten up in the night to go to the bathroom and all of a sudden the entire left side of my body went completely numb. I couldn't speak and my left hand drew up. I had to wait a few minutes before I could finally speak enough to get my husband up to help me. I was a fool and didn't go to the doctor right away and ended up having to have a triple by-pass 3 months later. Then I had to have 2 stents, and I had a heart attack.

Comment from: April, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

The whole right side of my body went heavy, I couldn't move it, my face was saggy, and my husband noted my right eyebrow was lower than my left. I could barely speak and had an extremely hard time thinking. After 10 minutes my body felt okay, after an hour my speaking was better. I was an idiot and didn't go to emergency, but did see my doctor the next day. There was muscle weakness still in the right side. I am waiting for CT scan, an ECHO and a Doppler. I do not smoke, have lost over 100 lbs in the past 1.5 years, and I have perfect blood pressure and cholesterol so finding out why this happened and stopping it is main concern.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?