Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

...
Comment from: MAZ, 55-64 Female Published: April 22

I was doing some physical therapy on my neck specifically exercises building upper back muscles when I suddenly couldn't remember what the tech had told me to do. I also did another exercise without ever remembering that I did it. The loss of memory was the big thing that occurred but I regained it after about an hour. I also had a BP of 190/100. I remember hearing an ambulance was being called but do not remember very much about being taken by ambulance to the ER. Some blood tests were run and a CT scan but everything came out OK. My doctor has since ordered an MRI of my brain, an MRA and an ultra sound of my carotid arteries. Although I appeared to outsiders as not losing consciousness, I couldn't remember what I had been doing, the president of the US and what day it was. Once I came out of this state, I could remember the president and day but have no idea what had happened at PT after a certain point.

Comment from: breeze, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 51 years of age and recently had a TIA. Oddly I woke from a sound sleep and felt what I can best describe as a buzzing sensation in my left arm and shoulder and left jaw. I woke my wife as this sensation wasn't going away after about twenty minutes. She suggested that we take my BP, which turned out to be 195 over 100. She said we were going to an ER and off we went. On arrival they by-passed the routine and took to me to a CT scan and gave me Aspirin. I was never told why it happened but after an EKG, MRI and a couple echo's. I was told it was a TIA and to date don't know why but you can bet I'll work on the things I can control like stopping smoking.

Related Reading: Aspirin

Comment from: Disillusioned, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I believe I had a TIA yesterday, 9/8/10. The acute dizziness lasted about 20 minutes, but the weakness lasted much longer than that. I owe my quick recovery to the EMTs who came to my home, particularly one who had the presence of mind to hook me up to a glucose IV, and give me oxygen, as well as test all my vitals and draw blood. The ER where I was taken was so crowded and I was told I would not be seen for "several" hours because of the backlog even though I had suffered a TIA and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. At home before the EMTs were called and I became aware that I was dizzy and imbalanced, with my vision fading in and out, I called my niece and she kept me from succumbing by just talking to me. While I was talking with her I staggered to my medicine cabinet and took two baby aspirin, which helped immensely. I believe that one of the greatest obstacles our healthcare providers are facing today is the health insurance companies which control the healthcare industry, i.e., doctors, hospitals, clinics. I believe that people are dying unnecessarily simply because they cannot be seen when a major medical problem arises, such as a TIA, because the patient has to wait 10 to 30 or more hours before they can be seen because the hospital ERs are backlogged or have no rooms available within to examine a patient. In one of the "greatest" countries in the world, it is outrageous that our healthcare is worse than that of a third world country, and I do have health insurance for which I pay, unfortunately, the $8,000+ a year that I pay for it did me absolutely no good in this instance.

Comment from: OlinMc, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I am now 85 years old, but had about 3 TIA's in my mid teens. No more until 1 at about age 29, then no more until about age 70. Since then, I've averaged 3 or 4 per year. All begin alike, I note a visual distortion first, then it moves to numbness somewhere on the left side, maybe the cheek, or fingers, or other. It can move in 10 minutes to where I might not control my movements and will fall. Several trips to the ER have occurred, with my family doctor involved. All sorts of tests show no serious problem, I've been on BP meds and Plavix for many years, still have these every so often. NOW, of the most valuable use, my family doctor suggested several years ago to INCREASE my CO-2 in the blood to make the blood vessels enlarge, in the area of the brain where the clot/constriction occurred. He suggested breathing in and out of a plastic bag, until I had to catch a fresh breath, and keep doing it until the TIA was checked early on. That has worked for me for at least 9 out of 10 such events. Unfortunately, the latest occurred when I was sound asleep, and I didn't wake up to use the bag to breathe in and out of. As a result its effects were serious: Severe headache for the entire next day, and visual distortion still with me after over a week.

Comment from: TIAsurvivor65, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The vision in my right eye caused everything I saw to turn sideways. My left eye had normal sight. My speech was slurred and it was difficult to walk. I had to use both arms to try to pull myself into bed. I was very lucky because I took a nap for an hour and woke up with the same symptoms. It was then my husband took me to the hospital. The eyesight readjusted about two hours after on-set and my speech was somewhat slurred for about two weeks afterward. They were never able to figure out why this happened. I was 40 years old and no history of high blood pressure or high cholesterol. It could have turned out very badly because I took a nap instead of going directly to the hospital. I just never imagined that I was having a stroke. I was very lucky.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?