Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Comment from: eleanor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I'm a 48 year old woman overweight (301bs) but fit. I walk miles with my dogs and have a very physical job, I have type 2 diabetes which until I had pneumonia was very well controlled and I was losing weight nicely, 2-3 lbs a week. I was admitted into hospital with blood sugars of 39! Insulin was given intravenously and within 24 hours was down to 15. About 8 weeks later I still felt weak and was exhausted. On 2-2-11 I woke feeling terribly dizzy and my eyesight was horrendous, I was staggering around like a drunk, and I never touch the stuff! My right arm and leg were dead weights and the right side of my face was numb and tingling, I couldn't talk and was dribbling, must of lasted 10-15 mins. My doctor was brilliant and got me to stroke clinic within a few hours, ecg and scan were normal and no build up of fats in my arteries. Awaiting MRI but 2 weeks later I feel as dead as a dodo! Eyesight still awful, weak, terribly fatigued. Clopadogril prescribed as I'm asthmatic and cannot have aspirin. I'm terrified as my dad had 7 of these and ultimately died!

Comment from: Need Help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 46 yrs old and this is my second symptom, my cholesterol has been over 232 and I have been on lipitor for a year. I just had another symtom, I fell out of my bed and then fell again hitting my head, I finally made it to my bed. But the last time my md doctor said it was vertigo, but this has lasted two days. I need help.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had some double vision issues. I went to my optometrist who sent me to an opto-neurologist. Neither could find a cause and simply suggested it might go away by itself. 15 months later, I mentioned the problem to my family doctor. He sent me for a CT scan and it was determined I had suffered a TIA and the muscles governing my left eye were not working in conjunction with my right. After 15 months, damage is done and probably will not resolve. Problem is more nuisance than anything else. Never knew I had a TIA and felt nothing. I have never had a headache so I would remember. Blood pressure and cholesterol are in check. I have had one sick day in 42 years. This was a surprise!

Comment from: kamilcha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

A few months ago, I woke up while hearing what first began as a small buzzing sound, which kept getting louder and louder, until it abruptly woke me up. For the next week or so I noticed that my glasses just weren't working doing their job while I was reading the newspaper and almost immediately after I woke up from that buzzing sound, my mind was thinking of a word to say but my mouth was saying something different--i.e. I wanted to say "give me a cup" but instead it came out "give me a plate", etc. I've had a brain MRI with contrast and it appears that I had a mini stroke--my carotid arteries aren't bad, but my good cholesterol is low and my bad is high (but not too high (200) but I have always had high triglycerides. My doctor just put me on simvastatin but I'm scared to take it as I like to have a couple of glasses of wine at night and usually snack on popcorn or pretzels, and the druggist said to take this med at night. Last month, I joined weight watchers and have been trying to go to the gym at least once a week, but the Doc said I have to do statins. I just turned 63--this sucks!!

Comment from: linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I'm a 59-year-old woman. This past weekend I was at work at my cashier position when my right arm became heavy, numb and tingling. I couldn't grip money anything in my right hand. I took myself to the hospital a few hours later. They a battery of test, which showed nothing, but they told me I'd had a mini stroke. They put me on Plavix. I feel better, but I'm still terrified.

Comment from: abuechs, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My Mother is diagnosed with TIA she is 82 and has 60% of her carotid artery clogged with plaque. The surgeon saw my mother two years ago and did not want to perform any surgery. Now two years later the surgeon wants to wait two more years. My mom has high blood pressure and asthma during the spring season. My mom is a strong woman and I am frustrated that he postponing the surgery. The surgeon said it is a 1% to 2% chance my mom would have a stroke during surgery, why would he want wait until she is older.

Comment from: hello, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was 23 at the time, had a lot of heart problems and a blood clot that formed in my brain. I had a time of about two hours where I would lose my balance and fall down, be very confused and disoriented. Ultimately I was taken to the ER where they did CT scan and echocardiogram to double check everything. The doctor put me on aspirin and told me to be careful for other signs of TIA or major stroke.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.