Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 70 yr.old woman with a history of heart disease, type II diabetes, and blood pressure problems. Haven't had too many health problems in spite of all this since I hike and eat properly. December of this year I had a total hip replacement done. I was progressing very good until one morning I woke up with double vision. I had no other problem, didn't feel anything unusual. A trip to the optamalogist and he diagnosed a mini-stroke. I have been on multiple meds for pain since the surgery and periodically was taking Ambien for sleep problems. I wonder if all the extra narcotics and the sleep med are the problem. Don't you have to have a neurologist to verify it was a mini-stroke?

Comment from: Lis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I exercise daily and eat a healthy diet. I began to experience a constant pressure and headache a week before my attack. The attack began with numbness to my left arm and face. I then lost the ability to speak for several minutes. Soon after, I went to the ER where they did a series of tests, which included a CT scan. It came to be that my cholesterol was high, as well as my BP. They kept me overnight and gave me aspirin, Lipitor, and a diuretic. Five days have passed, and I still feel foggy and weak.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

With my first TIA I had all the symptoms of a stroke including dizziness, confusion, and slowed speech. With my second TIA I had I was talking to my daughter on the phone when I suddenly had a massive pain in the top back of my head, like someone hitting me in the head with a hammer. I also had very high blood pressure.

After coming home from work on Friday, I felt like I was in slow motion, my bottom lip went numb (in the corner) and my speech was slurred. I immediately called for an ambulance. After running several tests, it was found that I had 75% blockage in my left carotid...surgery was done on Saturday and I came home, Sunday evening. I feel very lucky and blessed to be alive and not having a full blown stroke! I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?