Treating a Severe Allergic Reaction
If you have symptoms of a severe allergic reaction, callor other emergency services immediately.
- If your doctor has prescribed an allergy kit, use the kit if:
- Your symptoms are severe.
- You have a kit immediately available.
- You have been taught how and when to use the kit.
- You have had a severe reaction in the past from the same type of sting, bite, food, or medicine (allergens), and similar symptoms are developing.
- Take an antihistamine, such as Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, to help reduce your symptoms. Read and follow any warnings on the label.
|Primary Medical Reviewer||William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine|
|Last Revised||April 8, 2013|