- Stress reduction can sometimes help to reduce tremors. For more information, see the topic Stress Management.
- Add a little weight to your hand by wearing a heavy bracelet or watch or holding something in your hand. This may reduce some tremors and restore more control to your hands.
- Drink beverages from half-filled cups or glasses, and use a straw.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Fatigue often makes a tremor worse.
- Reduce your caffeine intake.
When to Call a Doctor
Call your doctor if:
- You suddenly develop a tremor or if an existing tremor becomes worse.
- Tremor interferes with your ability to do daily activities or keeps you from taking part in social events.
- You suspect that tremor may be a side effect of a medicine.
Other Places To Get Help
| National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke|
|NIH Neurological Institute|
|P.O. Box 5801|
|Bethesda, MD 20824|
|Phone: ||(301) 496-5751|
|TDD: ||(301) 468-5981|
|Web Address: ||www.ninds.nih.gov|
The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), a part of the National Institutes of Health, is the leading U.S. federal government agency supporting research on brain and nervous system disorders. It provides the public with educational materials and information about these disorders.
|American Academy of Family Physicians|
|P.O. Box 11210|
|Shawnee Mission, KS 66207-1210|
|Web Address: ||www.familydoctor.org|
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers information on adult and child health conditions and healthy living. Its Web site has topics on medicines, doctor visits, physical and mental health issues, parenting, and more.
|5731 Mosholu Avenue|
|Bronx, NY 10471|
|Web Address: ||www.wemove.org|
WE MOVE is an Internet resource for movement disorder information. This nonprofit organization is dedicated to educating people about the latest treatment options for neurologic movement disorders. WE MOVE also has information on support groups and hosts discussions and chat rooms on the website.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.