IN THIS ARTICLE
Trichomoniasis is not very serious, but it is contagious. If untreated, it may infect tissues throughout the urinary tract and reproductive system. Trichomoniasis may lead to preterm labor if left untreated during pregnancy. Trichomonas infection may also cause inflammation and irritation of the genital areas that makes it easier to transmit and acquire HIV infection. About 20% of people who are treated develop a recurrent infection.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/26/2013
Andrew K Chang, MD
Medical Medical Editor:
Must Read Articles Related to Trichomoniasis
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trichomoniasis:
Trichomoniasis - Treatment
What treatment was effective for your trichomoniasis?
- Can You Catch a Yeast Infection?
- Sex and Conception: Does Position Matter?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?