Trichomoniasis Medical Treatment
The treatment of choice is metronidazole (Flagyl), except in the first trimester of
(Mycelex Troche) is used topically. It is important not to drink alcohol while taking this drug (the combination can lead to abdominal pain and
- A large single dose is as effective as longer term treatment, but increases the risk of side effects such as nausea and vomiting.
- Pills taken twice a day for 7 days is an alternative.
Clotrimazole (Gyne-Lotrimin, Mycelex-7) if pregnant and having symptoms
- Medicine is inserted into the vagina at night for 14 days.
- This will decrease symptoms, but the cure rate is only 20%.
- Because infected male partners often do not have any symptoms, they do not seek medical care. It is important, however, that
all sexual partners are evaluated and treated. Otherwise the person may become reinfected.
- Male partners are treated with one large dose of metronidazole or may be treated for 7 days.
- The doctor may not routinely write an additional prescription for the
infected individual's partner without evaluating him or her first.
Must Read Articles Related to Trichomoniasis
Antibiotics are prescribed to individuals to cure disease by killing bacteria. There are over 100 antibiotics. The main classes of antibiotics include penicilli...learn more >>
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are among the most common infectious diseases in the United States. STDs can be spread through any type of sexual activity ...learn more >>
Testicle Infection (Epididymitis)
Epididymitis is inflammation or infection of the epididymis that is usually caused by a bacterial infection. Two main groups of organisms are responsible for mo...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trichomoniasis: