Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

...
Comment from: tena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I wish I had this information and support available when I first had my facial pain in 1986. I went through many dentists and doctors before being diagnosed with TN. I also had many horrible experiences and finally in 1994, I had surgery. I had remained pain free until 2014 when I started to feel the exact symptoms again. I wonder if it is possible for the TN to recur after being pain free for so many years. I have read many of the shared stories and will try to relax my jaws.

Comment from: I hurt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia 11 years ago, and up until now, it's been under good control with the use of topiramate 50mg 3 times daily, Cymbalta 60mg daily, clonazepam 1mg at bedtime, and orphenadrine, a muscle relaxer. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, which was diagnosed 15 years ago.

Related Reading: topiramate | clonazepam | orphenadrine

Comment from: Carm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had an intense pain from my ear to just below my eye. At the same time I noticed my eye looked smaller and the pupil wasn't reacting as quickly as the other one. I've been to dentists, oral surgeons, eye doctors, neurologists, neuroophthalmologists and had every test in the book done. So far they cannot figure out the reason.

Comment from: Dirac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I have suffered with TN most of my life. The attacks are sporadic. Massive uses of Darvocet were the only pain reducing med. Since Darvocet has been discontinued, my doctor has put me on Lyrica and Percoset. The Percoset will not kill the pain, but the Lyrica will dull the pain if taken at the onset of an attack. I have had TN since I was a child. I have gone several years between attacks, but as I get older the attacks occur more often.

Comment from: Widad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I've been suffering from these symptoms for two months now. The pain is constant. I can't sleep, eat, or talk, or even smile. I've been to the dentist about eight times. They say can't find anything.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with TN about five years ago. After about four months it went away. It came back in my teeth about two years ago. At first I thought it was a sinus infection, then I thought it was my teeth. I went to two doctors who said nothing was wrong. It is worst in the morning when I wake up.

Comment from: Sharonov, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Carbamazepine (tegretol) usually works for me. I take two 200mg pills every day and when I have a flare up I take up to six pills a day. Luckily the flare ups don't happen often. I'm considering gamma knife, but I'm on one yahoo group site where a couple of people had this done and their TN became worse. It's so hard to know what to do, since no treatment is guaranteed to be effective. The MVD can potentially leave you with a painfully numb face and might only give a few years relief. There's no way to know.

Comment from: trish in Phila pa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I started about five years ago with pain. I tried medications but couldn't stand all the side effects so I decided to have gamma knife and I was pain free for three full years. But now the nerve has regenerated so I am looking into having it done again because it worked like a miracle!

Comment from: Patricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a 59 year old female. In 2002 I developed facial pain that was unbearable. I had oral surgery but I got no relief I suffered for 6 months being misdiagnosed. Finally an emergency room doctor diagnosed me and I went on meds that did not work eventually I had surgery in 2003. I got instant relief, and now I get pain occasionally and Dilantin provides relief. It's the worst pain I've ever had in my life.

Comment from: godschoice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have had TN for a year. I spend so much time out of work for the pain. I am on high doses Trilepital and Lyrica. I have gained so much weight because of the steroids, which causes me to be depressed. I still have the episodes of pain, but not as bad as the first three months when I was diagnosed. I try to avoid any stress because it causes me pain. If I get a sinus infection it causes the nerve to act up. Really considering surgery, so I can get on with my life.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?