Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

...
Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

After suffering years of unexplained facial and dental pain, I decided to see my doctor as I couldn't face any more trips to the dentist. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia (TN) and given carbamazepine. I had tried various pain relief options without any success, thinking it was dental problems I was having. It's still in the early days of the treatment, but I feel that at last something is working to help with the agonizing pain. I have only been on the treatment four days and the results are amazing although there is still some tenderness. I don't quite know what to make of pain-free teeth! My fingers are crossed that the medication works long-term.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with this disease about 5 years ago and it still flares up about twice a month. I am on amitryptaline because nothing else worked for me. I was hospitalized and given morphine which did nothing but make me sicker. It's a horrible thing to have and hopefully someday they will find a cure.

Comment from: hooch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed 10 years ago after being treated multiple times for ear infections and TMJ. I did not respond effectively from anti-seizure meds and finally saw a neurosurgeon. Eventually he performed a "nerve block". I will tell you this procedure was incredible painful but 10 years later I am still pain free.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Glad to find a website that has some positive results on this since there does not seem to be a whole lot of answers. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years ago and was put on Cymbalta which also worked for me (I saw another writer had good results with a similar med) However, last year I broke my knee and the trigeminal neuralgia came back very bad and I was put on lyrica which did take the pain away after about 2 months but also had side effects that made me go off ( I was on a very high dose). Got a few "sparks" after going off but it has now been 5 months of just the cymbalta and thankfully all has been good.

Comment from: Trigeminal, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I had cushion put into my lump and nerves in my head in 2009, but my pain hast not stopped at all. I do not know what to do.

Comment from: Grace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have been on many meds and had different results for each. Each patient is different so I say allow an experienced doctor to treat you. I have had several ablations for trigeminal neuralgia.

Comment from: tena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I wish I had this information and support available when I first had my facial pain in 1986. I went through many dentists and doctors before being diagnosed with TN. I also had many horrible experiences and finally in 1994, I had surgery. I had remained pain free until 2014 when I started to feel the exact symptoms again. I wonder if it is possible for the TN to recur after being pain free for so many years. I have read many of the shared stories and will try to relax my jaws.

Comment from: I hurt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia 11 years ago, and up until now, it's been under good control with the use of topiramate 50mg 3 times daily, Cymbalta 60mg daily, clonazepam 1mg at bedtime, and orphenadrine, a muscle relaxer. I also suffer from Fibromyalgia, which was diagnosed 15 years ago.

Comment from: Carm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had an intense pain from my ear to just below my eye. At the same time I noticed my eye looked smaller and the pupil wasn't reacting as quickly as the other one. I've been to dentists, oral surgeons, eye doctors, neurologists, neuroophthalmologists and had every test in the book done. So far they cannot figure out the reason.

Comment from: Dirac, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I have suffered with TN most of my life. The attacks are sporadic. Massive uses of Darvocet were the only pain reducing med. Since Darvocet has been discontinued, my doctor has put me on Lyrica and Percoset. The Percoset will not kill the pain, but the Lyrica will dull the pain if taken at the onset of an attack. I have had TN since I was a child. I have gone several years between attacks, but as I get older the attacks occur more often.

...