Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Widad, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I've been suffering from these symptoms for two months now. The pain is constant. I can't sleep, eat, or talk, or even smile. I've been to the dentist about eight times. They say can't find anything.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I was diagnosed with TN about five years ago. After about four months it went away. It came back in my teeth about two years ago. At first I thought it was a sinus infection, then I thought it was my teeth. I went to two doctors who said nothing was wrong. It is worst in the morning when I wake up.

Comment from: Sharonov, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Carbamazepine (tegretol) usually works for me. I take two 200mg pills every day and when I have a flare up I take up to six pills a day. Luckily the flare ups don't happen often. I'm considering gamma knife, but I'm on one yahoo group site where a couple of people had this done and their TN became worse. It's so hard to know what to do, since no treatment is guaranteed to be effective. The MVD can potentially leave you with a painfully numb face and might only give a few years relief. There's no way to know.

Comment from: trish in Phila pa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I started about five years ago with pain. I tried medications but couldn't stand all the side effects so I decided to have gamma knife and I was pain free for three full years. But now the nerve has regenerated so I am looking into having it done again because it worked like a miracle!

Comment from: Patricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a 59 year old female. In 2002 I developed facial pain that was unbearable. I had oral surgery but I got no relief I suffered for 6 months being misdiagnosed. Finally an emergency room doctor diagnosed me and I went on meds that did not work eventually I had surgery in 2003. I got instant relief, and now I get pain occasionally and Dilantin provides relief. It's the worst pain I've ever had in my life.

Comment from: godschoice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have had TN for a year. I spend so much time out of work for the pain. I am on high doses Trilepital and Lyrica. I have gained so much weight because of the steroids, which causes me to be depressed. I still have the episodes of pain, but not as bad as the first three months when I was diagnosed. I try to avoid any stress because it causes me pain. If I get a sinus infection it causes the nerve to act up. Really considering surgery, so I can get on with my life.

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female Published: April 02

I am 69 years old and have had trigeminal neuralgia since I was 17. This occurs when I get a draft in my right ear, even from lightly blowing wind. I try to avoid any drafts, but sometimes I unexpectedly get a draft - when this occurs my whole right side, my head, my mouth, my teeth, my ear, my neck and my shoulder are in severe pain. This generally lasts a couple of weeks.

Comment from: grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I thought I had a toothache, but went and had it check out was told my teeth were in great shape, but maybe my very old wisdom tooth could be the problem, so I had it removed. It didn't work and I lost a perfectly good tooth for nothing. I'm on high doses of pain meds to help with the pain, but it is still there. My dentist wants to cut the nerve but I hear that rarely solves the problem. I've been in constant pain for over two weeks.

Comment from: zoey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had erratic earaches for past three months and thought nothing of same, sometimes my eyes would be bloodshot; for the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing chronic headaches, sometimes watery or bloodshot eyes, pain on my nape, my ears, also irritable throat with mucus, and loud noises or music made this worse. My doctor gave injection, and painkillers.

Comment from: corinne mac donald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I was diagnosed with TN about 15 years ago. My attacks are triggered once a year for about 6 weeks until the drugs (cabanazepine) work and become pain free. I remain on the tablets of 600mg for about 3 months and I'm pain free for the rest of about 9 months.