Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Arlene, 65-74 Female Published: April 02

I am 69 years old and have had trigeminal neuralgia since I was 17. This occurs when I get a draft in my right ear, even from lightly blowing wind. I try to avoid any drafts, but sometimes I unexpectedly get a draft - when this occurs my whole right side, my head, my mouth, my teeth, my ear, my neck and my shoulder are in severe pain. This generally lasts a couple of weeks.

Comment from: grandma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I thought I had a toothache, but went and had it check out was told my teeth were in great shape, but maybe my very old wisdom tooth could be the problem, so I had it removed. It didn't work and I lost a perfectly good tooth for nothing. I'm on high doses of pain meds to help with the pain, but it is still there. My dentist wants to cut the nerve but I hear that rarely solves the problem. I've been in constant pain for over two weeks.

Comment from: zoey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had erratic earaches for past three months and thought nothing of same, sometimes my eyes would be bloodshot; for the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing chronic headaches, sometimes watery or bloodshot eyes, pain on my nape, my ears, also irritable throat with mucus, and loud noises or music made this worse. My doctor gave injection, and painkillers.

Comment from: corinne mac donald, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I was diagnosed with TN about 15 years ago. My attacks are triggered once a year for about 6 weeks until the drugs (cabanazepine) work and become pain free. I remain on the tablets of 600mg for about 3 months and I'm pain free for the rest of about 9 months.

Comment from: Gabi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am a 59 year old woman with TN. After a root canal on my lower left molar (a three and a half hour procedure) I began feeling as if I had tight braces on my upper teeth. Some time later, I started having sharp pain in my upper and lower left teeth. What a nightmare!! My neurologist started me on Neurontin and this seems to have eased the pain. I also see a chiropractor which I'm sure this has added to my treatment.

Comment from: abcd, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been to a neurologist and he tried a couple of the anti seizure meds on me. My attacks usually happened about three times a year and are triggered by cold weather. I found that a heating pad works well.

Comment from: Fi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I am on 600mg Tegretol & 900mg of Neurontin. I am finding these medications make me very drowsy & I cannot function at anything near a normal level. I have had a lot of time off work and it is consuming my life. I hope I find relief as some of you have otherwise surgery is looking good!

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started having TN in 2008. I went to the Dentist to make sure my dentures were ok. The pain was so bad that I would dig the area with my nails. I was told by my neurologist that I had TN the first part of 2009 on both sides of my jaw line. In June 2009 I had a brain decompression where the surgeon removed a piece of my skull and replaced with a piece of synthetic fabric in hopes of relieving the pressure on the base of the nerve (this did not help). I have been on all the medication that is used for this problem.

Comment from: Hek, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Muscle relaxers and a chiropractor did the trick for me.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female Published: February 14

I was recently diagnosed with TN while on holiday in Singapore. It started out of the blue. I thought I had severe sinusitis or an abscess on back lower tooth. Pain killers do nothing for this awful condition. My face was very tender to the touch. Then unbelievably the chronic pain switches off, like turning of a light switch. I was put on a medication which helped the pain, but I'm terrified the pain will return. I've never experienced anything like it.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?