Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Fi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I am on 600mg Tegretol & 900mg of Neurontin. I am finding these medications make me very drowsy & I cannot function at anything near a normal level. I have had a lot of time off work and it is consuming my life. I hope I find relief as some of you have otherwise surgery is looking good!

Comment from: Dorothy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I started having TN in 2008. I went to the Dentist to make sure my dentures were ok. The pain was so bad that I would dig the area with my nails. I was told by my neurologist that I had TN the first part of 2009 on both sides of my jaw line. In June 2009 I had a brain decompression where the surgeon removed a piece of my skull and replaced with a piece of synthetic fabric in hopes of relieving the pressure on the base of the nerve (this did not help). I have been on all the medication that is used for this problem.

Comment from: Hek, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

Muscle relaxers and a chiropractor did the trick for me.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female Published: February 14

I was recently diagnosed with TN while on holiday in Singapore. It started out of the blue. I thought I had severe sinusitis or an abscess on back lower tooth. Pain killers do nothing for this awful condition. My face was very tender to the touch. Then unbelievably the chronic pain switches off, like turning of a light switch. I was put on a medication which helped the pain, but I'm terrified the pain will return. I've never experienced anything like it.

Comment from: TNSufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I too am a TN sufferer. I was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago. These things I know are true....the pain is beyond description, whether you're having an attack or not it can control your life (afraid to go out in case you have an attack in public), medication can help at least reduce the number of attacks (for me), delay of pain treatment can cause the pain to get out of control making it harder to get relief. My tips for prolonged attacks are as follows... 1. I apply ice to the nerve area 2. I take my pain meds as prescribed by my physician 3. My TN affects my jaw/teeth area. I have found that if I apply Anbesol to me teeth I can get a huge relief for a period of time. 4. Also, I never travel without these items as I had a very bad episode while on a business trip requiring me to wake up an associate at 3:00 am for a trip to the drugstore for a cold pack and Anbesol. 5. Have somebody accompany you to the dentist in case the dental work triggers an attack. I am very fortunate to work for a company/manager who understands this medical condition and allows me to work at home when needed. What I have found is during prolonged attacks, my face pain may eventually go away but the next day or so I am completely exhausted from dealing with the severe pain and I am vulnerable to follow up attacks.

Comment from: PW55, 55-64 Male Published: December 15

I have had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) for almost five years. I use pharmaceutical drugs only as a last resort. I use natural methods of controlling TN. I've found several that help: fasting, controlling fat intake (helpful also in multiple sclerosis [MS]), applying Tiger Balm or capsaicin cream to the areas of pain, Sinus Buster nasal spray (which somehow cuts the pain feedback loop/interrupts it), plenty of sleep, and exercise, along with protective gear when I go outdoors in the cold or wind.

Comment from: stevie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I just recently started having TN facial pain. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced, and comes on so suddenly. I have found that wet rags heated in the microwave, or in hot water, then applied to the area of pain does really help.

Comment from: Lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. My doctor wasn't sure at first, but the symptoms were classic. She prescribed gabapentin, and it is helping. I went to see my neurologist yesterday, and it was confirmed. He is tweaking my medication to aid in longer relief.

Comment from: Starry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been suffering from misdiagnosed trigeminal neuralgia for the past six years. Not one of my dentists, periodontists, endodontists, or oral surgeons could "see" anything...the oral surgeon even took a biopsy to see if I had Sjrogen's disease (it was negative). It was a miracle that I needed to see a Pain Management physician for lower back pain. I mentioned my jaw issue, and after a few minutes of tests, he immediately diagnosed my neuralgia. After two injections of steroids with numbing agents (one time under Propofol), there is no relief yet. I am being referred to a UCLA neurosurgeon, and after reading comments on this site, I am very encouraged and excited to make progress.

Headaches Quiz IQ

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?