Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: TNSufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I too am a TN sufferer. I was diagnosed with it about 2 years ago. These things I know are true....the pain is beyond description, whether you're having an attack or not it can control your life (afraid to go out in case you have an attack in public), medication can help at least reduce the number of attacks (for me), delay of pain treatment can cause the pain to get out of control making it harder to get relief. My tips for prolonged attacks are as follows... 1. I apply ice to the nerve area 2. I take my pain meds as prescribed by my physician 3. My TN affects my jaw/teeth area. I have found that if I apply Anbesol to me teeth I can get a huge relief for a period of time. 4. Also, I never travel without these items as I had a very bad episode while on a business trip requiring me to wake up an associate at 3:00 am for a trip to the drugstore for a cold pack and Anbesol. 5. Have somebody accompany you to the dentist in case the dental work triggers an attack. I am very fortunate to work for a company/manager who understands this medical condition and allows me to work at home when needed. What I have found is during prolonged attacks, my face pain may eventually go away but the next day or so I am completely exhausted from dealing with the severe pain and I am vulnerable to follow up attacks.

Comment from: PW55, 55-64 Male Published: December 15

I have had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) for almost five years. I use pharmaceutical drugs only as a last resort. I use natural methods of controlling TN. I've found several that help: fasting, controlling fat intake (helpful also in multiple sclerosis [MS]), applying Tiger Balm or capsaicin cream to the areas of pain, Sinus Buster nasal spray (which somehow cuts the pain feedback loop/interrupts it), plenty of sleep, and exercise, along with protective gear when I go outdoors in the cold or wind.

Comment from: stevie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I just recently started having TN facial pain. One of the most painful things I've ever experienced, and comes on so suddenly. I have found that wet rags heated in the microwave, or in hot water, then applied to the area of pain does really help.

Comment from: Lea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. My doctor wasn't sure at first, but the symptoms were classic. She prescribed gabapentin, and it is helping. I went to see my neurologist yesterday, and it was confirmed. He is tweaking my medication to aid in longer relief.

Comment from: Starry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been suffering from misdiagnosed trigeminal neuralgia for the past six years. Not one of my dentists, periodontists, endodontists, or oral surgeons could "see" anything...the oral surgeon even took a biopsy to see if I had Sjrogen's disease (it was negative). It was a miracle that I needed to see a Pain Management physician for lower back pain. I mentioned my jaw issue, and after a few minutes of tests, he immediately diagnosed my neuralgia. After two injections of steroids with numbing agents (one time under Propofol), there is no relief yet. I am being referred to a UCLA neurosurgeon, and after reading comments on this site, I am very encouraged and excited to make progress.

Comment from: rstrat1995, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Had TN in 1998. I had TN in all 3 branches of the nerve. After trying all medications available then I decided on an MVD due to its record at that time as most successful and longest acting. I was in luck. No pain, no medication since then and a talented neurosurgeon. I was 71 at that time, 83 now. It was a miracle. J. Stratton, Greensboro NC

Comment from: Shingled, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

Ask your healthcare professionals about shingles (varicella zoster). It is said that T3, T4, and the ophthalmic branch of the trigeminal nerve are the areas most commonly affected. It sounds like some people may be experiencing PHN (postherpetic neuralgia).

Comment from: Mandz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

One Monday morning I woke up with a pain and thought it was a painful toothache, went to the dentist and still the pain could not go away. I thought it was a headache and was rushed to hospital. On the 3rd day my doctor discovered that I have trigeminal neuralgia.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?