Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female Published: May 07

I have had this condition for about ten years now. I used the anti-epilepsy drug, carbamazine for a while. It worked well, but it made me sleepy. Then I started on the antidepressant, Effexor. It has helped me very well and I haven't had the pain in years. I hope this can help someone.

Comment from: Mack, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have a recurring pain in the right side of my nose that radiates to include the area around my right eye. After seeing various specialists and having a CAT scan, MRI, and various blood tests, and taking an anti-seizure medication prescribed by a neurologist, I still have the pain, and it comes and goes. Resorting to self-treatment, I found one thing that mitigates the pain: the cold sore salve, Carmex. I take a cotton swab, place some Carmex on it, and apply it to the highest areas it will reach inside my right nostril. It helps! I hope this helps at least some co-sufferers.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

2 years ago while visiting my children in NY, I was experiencing yet another bout of (so I thought)severe sinus infection. It was excruciating! I went to the ER and begged the doctor not to touch my face. I had an MRI and x-rays. He said the good news is, it's not a tumor. Here, I'm still under the impression it's another sinus infection! He said I had TN. He put me on 2 meds. The one caused me to go nuts! (Really I swear I could see and feel things crawling all over me.) I got rid of that med quick! The pain med was, Hydrocodone. It worked. The pain mercifully stopped. I haven't had any pain since. Thank Goodness! But I have had some sharp stabs of pain every now and then. So, all these wee bits of help, advice and wisdom I will certainly heed.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?