Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

2 years ago while visiting my children in NY, I was experiencing yet another bout of (so I thought)severe sinus infection. It was excruciating! I went to the ER and begged the doctor not to touch my face. I had an MRI and x-rays. He said the good news is, it's not a tumor. Here, I'm still under the impression it's another sinus infection! He said I had TN. He put me on 2 meds. The one caused me to go nuts! (Really I swear I could see and feel things crawling all over me.) I got rid of that med quick! The pain med was, Hydrocodone. It worked. The pain mercifully stopped. I haven't had any pain since. Thank Goodness! But I have had some sharp stabs of pain every now and then. So, all these wee bits of help, advice and wisdom I will certainly heed.

Comment from: Bonito1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I have had TN for a month now and I am a 36 year old woman. My doctor prescribed me Lyrica and I am on a low dose - 300mg a day. I have been pleased in reading these reviews as I thought that there was no hope for this horrible condition. I have ringing in my ears and prickly headaches now and have just been referred to a neurologist. I have an MRI scan tomorrow and have changed my diet completely. I find noise difficult to deal with in the evening still. I hope that this review finds you in a pain free time. Keep positive! Positive thinking and having a wonderful family and friend base has kept me sane.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?