Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

...
Comment from: kml, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I've had TN for 5 years. It's bad. I was put on Lyrica, I took 9 pills. Did nothing for me. Now I'm on Carbamazipine and now take 7 1/2 - 200 mg. They make me drowsy and dizzy. So far no pain. I go for a MRI soon. I sure hope they can do something for me. Attacks are bad. I don't eat or move for 3 days. Last attack was end of May and now end of August.

Comment from: ham radio, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

About 5 years ago, I had my first bout with TN. My dentist did not help. The neurologist gave me a medication that was totally bad - side effects. I would not subject myself to these horrors. I learned how to relax my jaw. When I did it right the relief was IMMEDIATE. During the 2nd visit to the neurologist, she told me that was the only way to do it, but most people did not take the time to try it. They wanted a 'pill' to take the pain away. Since then, I have had only 5-6 episodes lasting less than 10 minutes. When it happens, think about what is stressing you out. Go in the bathroom and lean forward and let the jaw relax.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Exactly one year ago I suddenly was struck one day, completely out of the blue, with horrible pain in my face. I also thought that I had sinus infection and went to the doctor and dentist for about a month with no relief in sight. I would have an attach that lasted for 48 hours and then would start to subside only to break out with the horrible pain immediately again. I finally went to another doctor who saw me while I was having a painful attack. They immediately diagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia and gave me carbamazepine @ 100 mg with two, twice a day. I did have dizziness and the sensation that I could not completely control how I was walking without tripping. But, within 48 hours I was free of pain. I have only had two or three flair ups during the last year and it appears that they may have stopped completely. I now take only one 100 mg a day.

Related Reading: carbamazepine

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with TN about 2 years ago when I was 12-13 in both sides of my face. I was put on carbamazapine, started on a low dose but was on 1600mg a day after about three weeks. It worked for about 6 months and then the pain started to come back. I also suffered from bad side effects such as horrific hallucinations and depression. My GP decided to put me on the slow release version as he thought it would help. The hallucinations and depression just got worse and I was like a completely different person. I came off the tablets and started to have complimentary therapy (Reiki). 18 months down the line and I haven't been on any other tablets and I only get pain from time to time.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

After suffering years of unexplained facial and dental pain, I decided to see my doctor as I couldn't face any more trips to the dentist. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia (TN) and given carbamazepine. I had tried various pain relief options without any success, thinking it was dental problems I was having. It's still in the early days of the treatment, but I feel that at last something is working to help with the agonizing pain. I have only been on the treatment four days and the results are amazing although there is still some tenderness. I don't quite know what to make of pain-free teeth! My fingers are crossed that the medication works long-term.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with this disease about 5 years ago and it still flares up about twice a month. I am on amitryptaline because nothing else worked for me. I was hospitalized and given morphine which did nothing but make me sicker. It's a horrible thing to have and hopefully someday they will find a cure.

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: hooch, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I was diagnosed 10 years ago after being treated multiple times for ear infections and TMJ. I did not respond effectively from anti-seizure meds and finally saw a neurosurgeon. Eventually he performed a "nerve block". I will tell you this procedure was incredible painful but 10 years later I am still pain free.

Comment from: Theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Glad to find a website that has some positive results on this since there does not seem to be a whole lot of answers. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years ago and was put on Cymbalta which also worked for me (I saw another writer had good results with a similar med) However, last year I broke my knee and the trigeminal neuralgia came back very bad and I was put on lyrica which did take the pain away after about 2 months but also had side effects that made me go off ( I was on a very high dose). Got a few "sparks" after going off but it has now been 5 months of just the cymbalta and thankfully all has been good.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?