Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

...
Comment from: Mandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had been suffering excruciating trigeminal neuralgia (TN) attacks for almost 8 years and I tried anti-seizure medicines, painkillers, and steroids with no respite apart from the temporary subsiding of pain. Desperate to find relief, I even contemplated surgery, however my fear of going under the knife made me opt for natural supplements, although being skeptical about natural medicines in general. I started googling about other alternative treatments and chanced upon Biogetica last year. It is an online medical portal that deals with Ayurvedic and homeopathic remedies. I contacted them through their doctors' helpline and started using their Freedom Kit with OM13 TNeuralgease Formula. The results have by far been the best I can boast of. The pain stopped just within 3 weeks of using the remedies and I have been pain free for the past 7 months now. Thank goodness, the nightmare has ended!

Comment from: motownkid68, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

My father at 74 suffered from trigeminal neuralgia and it had been going on for at least the last two years. Well, today (10-14-2015) he had surgery. I am so happy to say that he now is feeling 100 percent better; really, as he found a doctor that specializes in this procedure, and he's satisfied with the results. He is not so happy about them shaving his head on the left side and going in behind the ear with a 4 inch stitch but he is fixed.

Comment from: PAY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Trigeminal neuralgia has hit me three times in the last 3 years. I used over the counter Orajel and packed my jaw with a gauze to hold the Orajel in place. It helped a lot!

Comment from: silvergal, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 09

My left eye runs all the time, and I have pain in upper and left jaw from trigeminal neuralgia. I went to the dentist but the medicine he gave me does not take it away. It feels like nails in my jaw. I cannot eat hot food. I have my upper and lower plates. It feels like sharp needles in the jaw. I am going to the dentist tomorrow. The pain is so sharp, I need help.

Comment from: kml, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I've had TN for 5 years. It's bad. I was put on Lyrica, I took 9 pills. Did nothing for me. Now I'm on Carbamazipine and now take 7 1/2 - 200 mg. They make me drowsy and dizzy. So far no pain. I go for a MRI soon. I sure hope they can do something for me. Attacks are bad. I don't eat or move for 3 days. Last attack was end of May and now end of August.

Comment from: ham radio, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

About 5 years ago, I had my first bout with TN. My dentist did not help. The neurologist gave me a medication that was totally bad - side effects. I would not subject myself to these horrors. I learned how to relax my jaw. When I did it right the relief was IMMEDIATE. During the 2nd visit to the neurologist, she told me that was the only way to do it, but most people did not take the time to try it. They wanted a 'pill' to take the pain away. Since then, I have had only 5-6 episodes lasting less than 10 minutes. When it happens, think about what is stressing you out. Go in the bathroom and lean forward and let the jaw relax.

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Exactly one year ago I suddenly was struck one day, completely out of the blue, with horrible pain in my face. I also thought that I had sinus infection and went to the doctor and dentist for about a month with no relief in sight. I would have an attach that lasted for 48 hours and then would start to subside only to break out with the horrible pain immediately again. I finally went to another doctor who saw me while I was having a painful attack. They immediately diagnosed me with trigeminal neuralgia and gave me carbamazepine @ 100 mg with two, twice a day. I did have dizziness and the sensation that I could not completely control how I was walking without tripping. But, within 48 hours I was free of pain. I have only had two or three flair ups during the last year and it appears that they may have stopped completely. I now take only one 100 mg a day.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I was diagnosed with TN about 2 years ago when I was 12-13 in both sides of my face. I was put on carbamazapine, started on a low dose but was on 1600mg a day after about three weeks. It worked for about 6 months and then the pain started to come back. I also suffered from bad side effects such as horrific hallucinations and depression. My GP decided to put me on the slow release version as he thought it would help. The hallucinations and depression just got worse and I was like a completely different person. I came off the tablets and started to have complimentary therapy (Reiki). 18 months down the line and I haven't been on any other tablets and I only get pain from time to time.

...