Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

Comment from: vanessa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

When I first found out about trigeminal neuralgia, I thought I was crazy. I had TN about for about five years. I had the surgery and it worked for three years. The pain is back again and I am taking carbamazepine 100mg, two pills, three times a day and gabapentin, one pill, three times a day. So far, so good.

Comment from: jctomes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I developed TN four years ago when I was diagnosed with bilateral brain tumors. Both have since been removed, but I am in worse physical shape than before. When my neurosurgeon removed the trigeminal schwannoma, he said that the tumor had all but destroyed all three nerves. I have had daily pain for four years without any breaks. I am not a candidate for any further treatment.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

It started in December went to the dentist for a check-up. The dentist said that I had decay on tooth #19, but it had a bridge connecting my wisdom tooth. He had to remove bridge and drill on the wisdom tooth. From that day on I've had two root canals one on the wisdom tooth and one on tooth #14. I have had so much pain on left side of mouth that they say now I have neuralgia. I am taking 3 gabapentin a day.

Comment from: Hunter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was in a car accident where my face hit the steering wheel, breaking my nose and cheek bone. Now I have numbness in the right side of my face. I've started to experience nerve pain felt like an electric shock running through my eye. My therapist said it was just my nerves trying to rejuvenate. I was drinking coffee three weeks ago and out of the blue I had this pain that I can't describe. I couldn't talk, eat, or drink, then it went away. I thought it was my wisdom teeth. I went to my doctor in tears and she told me that I have TN. Now I'm on medications to manage the pain. My life has completely changed. I don't leave my house without my pain meds. This is no fun at all.

Comment from: Kaye, 65-74 Female Published: February 11

I also had TN for 10 years. I was taking all kinds of medications. You name it, I took it. They all started not working and making me nuts. I was forced to do something else. I chose vascular depression surgery at USC. For one year I had just a hint of pain once in a while. Not often. Nothing like before. Now it has been 8 years without pain.

Comment from: kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My TN was caused after removal of a pituitary tumor. I was treated with narcotics and also have atypical face pain and cervical involvement. I was moved to a warmer climate with no stress and it was gone, but now after two surgeries and anesthesia in my mouth and a lot of stress again it has started again. I am on my sixth major cycle and this one is over two weeks looking for some relief and some new doctors in Arizona.

Comment from: Sue Py, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had trigeminal neuralgia about 10 years ago, which when diagnosed was treated successfully with carbamazepine. After a few years the attacks seemed to have stopped so I was able to discontinue the carbamazepine. Since then I have been on Lyrica for lower spine pain, not related to TN and think that was probably controlling the TN attacks. I have now just had a couple of weeks of TN. I checked with the dentist and he couldn't find any dental causes. I am up in the night writing this as I have just had an attack. I found that a hot pack on that side of my face helped just now, so that's worth a try for anyone else.

Comment from: dag, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I developed a sharp "electric" pain down the right hand side of my nose from the corner of the eye down to the base of my nose! I usually feel it more in cold weather. When I touch it I feel as if I get a painful electric shock! My doctor thought it was sinus trouble and sent me for a scan but the consultant said he "thought" it was neuralgia and didn't offer any treatment!

Comment from: karen40, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

I found out I had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) about 4 years ago. I had surgery it went away, then returned about three months now. I had surgery the same doctor did it I am still going through pain. My face burns so bad. I went back four times to this doctor and he can't tell me why my face burns so much in the same area where he did the surgery. I don't know what else to do I am hurting so bad and this doctor doesn't believe me that I am hurting after surgery. Not the same pain like before this one burns. I have no pain medication.

Headaches Quiz IQ

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?