Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

...
Comment from: Kaye, 65-74 Female Published: February 11

I also had TN for 10 years. I was taking all kinds of medications. You name it, I took it. They all started not working and making me nuts. I was forced to do something else. I chose vascular depression surgery at USC. For one year I had just a hint of pain once in a while. Not often. Nothing like before. Now it has been 8 years without pain.

Comment from: kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My TN was caused after removal of a pituitary tumor. I was treated with narcotics and also have atypical face pain and cervical involvement. I was moved to a warmer climate with no stress and it was gone, but now after two surgeries and anesthesia in my mouth and a lot of stress again it has started again. I am on my sixth major cycle and this one is over two weeks looking for some relief and some new doctors in Arizona.

Comment from: Sue Py, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had trigeminal neuralgia about 10 years ago, which when diagnosed was treated successfully with carbamazepine. After a few years the attacks seemed to have stopped so I was able to discontinue the carbamazepine. Since then I have been on Lyrica for lower spine pain, not related to TN and think that was probably controlling the TN attacks. I have now just had a couple of weeks of TN. I checked with the dentist and he couldn't find any dental causes. I am up in the night writing this as I have just had an attack. I found that a hot pack on that side of my face helped just now, so that's worth a try for anyone else.

Comment from: dag, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I developed a sharp "electric" pain down the right hand side of my nose from the corner of the eye down to the base of my nose! I usually feel it more in cold weather. When I touch it I feel as if I get a painful electric shock! My doctor thought it was sinus trouble and sent me for a scan but the consultant said he "thought" it was neuralgia and didn't offer any treatment!

Comment from: karen40, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

I found out I had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) about 4 years ago. I had surgery it went away, then returned about three months now. I had surgery the same doctor did it I am still going through pain. My face burns so bad. I went back four times to this doctor and he can't tell me why my face burns so much in the same area where he did the surgery. I don't know what else to do I am hurting so bad and this doctor doesn't believe me that I am hurting after surgery. Not the same pain like before this one burns. I have no pain medication.

Published: June 04

I have been told that the use of Botox is very effective in managing the symptoms of TN. I'm currently researching any medical papers on this.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Mine started after a car accident.

Comment from: bunnee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I was on flight to Vegas when a sudden tingling pain on top left of my head started going down my face. Next I had a burning pain striking the left side of my nose then striking my eye. I thought I was dying or having an aneursym. It lasted for about three minutes and included severe pain and burning. I have never felt such excruciating, striking burning pain in my life. I was prescribed gabapentin which I had been on already for my back but doctor increased from 300mg to 900mg.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I felt a sensation in my face. Then, I started getting pain in my mouth. I thought it was a toothache. Then thought I had a headache. I wasn't sure what was paining me. I visited the dentist on three occasions. However, nothing was found with the teeth. I decided to visit the doctor as I started to get pain in the ear as well. This is when I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?