Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I've had TN since 2004. It came out of the blue. I had brain surgery in 2009 and I was doing well until about six months ago when it started up again. I sit all day waiting for the next zapping pain. I can't ear or wash my face or hair, or brush my teeth. I can't go outside because of the cold air and the wind. It's been very hard to live this way. I just want to live a normal life again.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I had my first TN attack about six months ago. I thought it was something having to do with teeth. I had no symptoms for six months, then I had an attack that lasted for two days. I was diagnosed by my dentist. TN pain is a pain like no other. It's like taking a taser to the face.

Comment from: DM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I started out having this pain in my face when I was in my 30s. Never knew what it was until I was much older and read about it. I finally noticed that I would almost always have an attack right after I wore pierced-ear earrings. I stopped wearing the earrings and now have very, very few attacks. I did have one minor attack recently near my jaw, but an extra-strength Tylenol mostly took care of that. This is miserable stuff.

Comment from: Les, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I started out with a sinus infection that wouldn't go away. The next thing I know I'm having strong pain behind my left ear and down the left side of my throat. My left eye was also droopy and I had pain above the eye, maybe a slight numbness on the left side of my face. The doctor put me on Carbamazepine 200 mg. I have been increasing the dosage every three days but so far no decrease in pain but also no increase. No other symptoms so far and I see a neurologist in three weeks.

Comment from: jujubeee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

OH MY GOSH, this was pain WORSE than childbirth! I had a TN attack in all 3 areas. It starts as a toothache in the back of my mouth on the top. Then it gets worse. Once it started with an itchy nose. The pain BOLTED through my face and it felt like someone was reaching in and trying to pull my teeth out from the inside. Then my eye and cheek pulled and it felt like a CLAMP on my forehead on the left side. It was SURREAL.

Comment from: Andrea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I began experiencing the pain of TN when I was in my forties. At first I thought it was the result of a bad root canal but my dentist proved to me it wasn't. I went to my GP and he suggested TN and explained the treatments and I decided that the complications were not acceptable. Another doctor suggested it was the result of shingles although I had no visible outbreak. I would explain the symptoms as a half mask of tingling shocks on my face and behind my ear. Occasionally it continues up in my scalp and sometimes hot stabbing pain down my neck. Most of the time it feels like my face is being drawn backwards into a grotesque smile. Cold compresses on my neck and behind my ear occasionally relieve the constant pain. Any injuries on my face or in my mouth like dental work exacerbate the intensity of the pain so I warn the dentist before any dental work. I have also developed tendonitis in my shoulder which is sometimes agony as it joins the pain up to my head. I take Tylenol, drink calming teas and avoid stress. Rest is vitally important to maintaining my ability to tolerate the pain because any medications you take can harm other organs.

Comment from: Donna, 65-74 Female Published: December 13

My pain started 11 years ago. It felt like labor pains-slow starting, rising to a crescendo then slowly fading to dull. Oddly if I rinsed the area with cold water, the pain subsided for a bit.

Comment from: supergos, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with TN about 4 years ago. I was lucky that my nurse also suffered with this awful condition. My doctor was able to diagnose me during my first visit! I do not share all the symptoms that are listed here. When I have an attack, it feels like I have the worst toothache ever, both top and bottom - only on the left side. My jawbones also hurt like mad both top and bottom.

Comment from: Loo, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 26

My daughter who is 10 years old has the symptoms of TN and we are in the diagnosing phase. It is really scary. So far nothing is helping, she just started on Gabapentin, which is making her dizzy and feel off with no relief as yet.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?