Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

Comment from: AWilliams, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I was first diagnosed with TN in 1999 at the age of 40. Went to various Neurologists in the US and was placed on different drugs for over 6 months. The drugs did not help at all with the pain and they caused major side effects including rashes, sleepiness to the point of not being able to drive or work. I had Gamma Knife Surgery in Atlanta, GA and was pain free for 10 years. The symptoms came back and I had a second Gamma Knife surgery two years ago. Now the pain is slowly coming back. I am now living in Melbourne, Australia and I am scheduled to see a neurosurgeon tomorrow to see what other options are available. The Gamma Knife surgery was wonderful. It was an easy procedure with just slight numbness in the face as its only side effect. I understand that I cannot have a third gamma knife procedure but I would take it if it were available. The last pain-free 12 years have been wonderful and I would urge any sufferer to investigate this procedure. Good luck to all who suffer from this horrible condition.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a head injury on the right side of my head in the hairline area over 5 years ago. I've seen a few doctors for the severe pain I get in the injured area on my head. Doctors say I have permanent nerve damage to the trigeminal nerve. The injured area is numb, but gives me such severe shooting pain. The doctors are not agreeing that the same branch area of the nerve is damaged. My symptoms are all on my right side. They start from the injured area with a sharp shooting pain and goes down my right cheek with a tingling, pins and needle sensation that goes down to the corner of my mouth. I have a slipped disk in my neck from the injury also. I am on medicine to try and stop the pain from happening but it isn't always working. I'm still trying new things to help the pain. One option was Botox.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have experienced trigeminal neuralgia beginning with unexplainable back molar pain, only on the right side of my face for 15 years. It has grown into swelling at the right base of my neck, tender to the touch during an attack and severe strikes of pain, around my eye, my jaw, my temple and a few times, in my right eye. I can feel like I will "pass out" for a moment. My treatment is NOT to use drugs with side effects. Apply cold immediately to your trigeminal neck area. Lie down. Deep breathing seems to increase oxygen intake and help as well.

Comment from: burning, 65-74 Female Published: June 20

I have been having a burning between one side of my nose and cheek area. Sometimes, I also have pain in the temple area. Teeth ache at times. This has been going on for a couple of months now. I went to my doctor a couple of days ago and she told me it was facial neuralgia. No tests were done and no medications were given. The burning was happening a few times a day for short intervals but is just now happening for a better part of the day and lasts longer and longer.

Comment from: pumpkin1136, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I remember the pain like it was yesterday, as nothing compares to the pain stabbing through my eye into my head. The pain was so severe that I became irrational. Treatment was for trigeminal neuralgia and encephalitis. While in the hospital, the illness led to shingles on my lower abdomen and hips, which still recur several times a year.

Comment from: Lee SCHOFIELD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Typically, my symptoms are severe tooth ache, earache, blurred vision, nausea, severe headache, pain in the glands around my neck which is very sore to the touch and pain in the back of my neck. I have been a sufferer for around 27 years. It has been suggested by a specialist at a pain management clinic I have attended that the cause of my TGN is nerve damage from past dental treatment.

Comment from: maddy jacobs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 44 yrs old and I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis about 6 months ago. About 2 months ago I experienced these horrible shocking pains in my face. Never in my life would I have known such pain if someone explained it to me. My neurologist knew straight away it was trigeminal neuralgia so she put me on Gabapentin capsules.

Comment from: Hummingbird, 55-64 Female Published: May 06

I am a 59 year old female. I noticed what seemed to be nerve pain in my left cheek a few years ago and then the pain seemed to travel down the side of my face until it finally disappeared. During this time it is very painful, but not unbearable, where even 1 hair brushing up against the cheek causes pain. I take ibuprofen and eventually it goes away. I seem to be experiencing this 2 to 3 times per year.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?