Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

Comment from: pumpkin1136, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I remember the pain like it was yesterday, as nothing compares to the pain stabbing through my eye into my head. The pain was so severe that I became irrational. Treatment was for trigeminal neuralgia and encephalitis. While in the hospital, the illness led to shingles on my lower abdomen and hips, which still recur several times a year.

Comment from: Lee SCHOFIELD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Typically, my symptoms are severe tooth ache, earache, blurred vision, nausea, severe headache, pain in the glands around my neck which is very sore to the touch and pain in the back of my neck. I have been a sufferer for around 27 years. It has been suggested by a specialist at a pain management clinic I have attended that the cause of my TGN is nerve damage from past dental treatment.

Comment from: maddy jacobs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I am 44 yrs old and I have been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis about 6 months ago. About 2 months ago I experienced these horrible shocking pains in my face. Never in my life would I have known such pain if someone explained it to me. My neurologist knew straight away it was trigeminal neuralgia so she put me on Gabapentin capsules.

Comment from: Hummingbird, 55-64 Female Published: May 06

I am a 59 year old female. I noticed what seemed to be nerve pain in my left cheek a few years ago and then the pain seemed to travel down the side of my face until it finally disappeared. During this time it is very painful, but not unbearable, where even 1 hair brushing up against the cheek causes pain. I take ibuprofen and eventually it goes away. I seem to be experiencing this 2 to 3 times per year.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I experienced a sharp stab of pain above my ear on the right side of my face, completely out of the blue. I cannot pinpoint a specific area that is sensitive to touch, but it is very painful when I open my mouth widely (top of the jawbone) or move my jaw to the left. I also experience earache of varying intensities, especially at night when lying down. Sleep deprivation has become an unwelcome visitor. My GP has diagnosed the condition as neuralgia for now and administered a cortisone injection which did bring some relief. She also advised me to continue applying arnica oil to the. I seem to fit the profile as I'm a female in my early 60s with a history of myasthenia gravis. I live in hope that the neuralgia will disappear as quickly as it came.