Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

Comment from: Hummingbird, 55-64 Female Published: May 06

I am a 59 year old female. I noticed what seemed to be nerve pain in my left cheek a few years ago and then the pain seemed to travel down the side of my face until it finally disappeared. During this time it is very painful, but not unbearable, where even 1 hair brushing up against the cheek causes pain. I take ibuprofen and eventually it goes away. I seem to be experiencing this 2 to 3 times per year.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I experienced a sharp stab of pain above my ear on the right side of my face, completely out of the blue. I cannot pinpoint a specific area that is sensitive to touch, but it is very painful when I open my mouth widely (top of the jawbone) or move my jaw to the left. I also experience earache of varying intensities, especially at night when lying down. Sleep deprivation has become an unwelcome visitor. My GP has diagnosed the condition as neuralgia for now and administered a cortisone injection which did bring some relief. She also advised me to continue applying arnica oil to the. I seem to fit the profile as I'm a female in my early 60s with a history of myasthenia gravis. I live in hope that the neuralgia will disappear as quickly as it came.

Comment from: Bbyers1929@aol.com, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

About 3yrs ago I got a terrible headache. I could not touch my head. In all of my 82yrs I never got a headache like that, in fact I never get many headaches so this was very surprising to me. I decided to make an appointment with a neurologist. He gave me an MRI and came up with the conclusion that I had trigeminal neuralgia. I did not know what that was so I started to read and try to discover what this disease was all about. He prescribed Lyrica and not long after my pain was gone. I was very surprised and happy. But about 8 months later I got a pain in my jaw. It was much worse than the one in my head. I could not eat and the pain got worse. I had two events where the pain was horrible. It had me in tears. I could not believe it. So back to the neurologist I went. He explained how this nerve comes down from your head to your jaw. He prescribed carbamazepine. At first it helped some but later I had to take more than one and I still had the pain. I could not chew and could not drink anything cold. I did not want to go anyplace for fright that I would get that horrible pain. I notice that in the summer the pain goes away but returns in the winter.

Comment from: justanotherpatient, Published: March 21

At first, it was misdiagnosed as burning mouth syndrome. Then, after two years of workups by various specialists, a neurologist diagnosed it as trigeminal neuralgia. One symptom I have not seen mentioned is thick mucus with a postnasal drip.

Comment from: kelly, 35-44 Female Published: March 17

My symptoms first started years ago , which was a stabbing pain in my top back teeth then slowly would spread through my face and temple , never going past the centre of my face(I only suffer on the left side). A cold breeze or brushing my teeth would make it ten times worse. I always thought it was a dental problem til I went to the doctor thinking I had an infection, which is the first time I`d ever heard of trigeminal nerve. At the moment I've only taken pain medication which makes me sick. I find a heat pack on the face helps a lot. My episodes can last up to two weeks so, if anyone has got any suggestions for managing the pain that would be awesome. I find this condition debilitating at times.

Comment from: Mags, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I've suffered with this condition for about 5 years now. It started when I was 39. My pain is not on my face. Mine is around my head with very sharp pains that last about 60 seconds at a time and sometimes staying for a week or more. It's very uncomfortable, though pressure seems to help a bit.

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan History CT was discovered independently by a British engineer named Sir Godfrey Hounsfield and Dr. Alan Cormack. It has become a mainstay for diagnosing med...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?