Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

...
Comment from: Maryna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

At first I thought it was a toothache or maybe an abscess or gum disease. I tried rinsing my mouth and started taking pain tablets. The pain became unbearable yet I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was. After a visit to the dentist that didn't reveal anything I consulted my doctor. I was sure I had cancer as it was so painful. Luckily my doctor knew what was wrong immediately and explained neuralgia to me. I am now taking tablets and feel that it is helping already.

Comment from: oallieb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I just started having this severe pain in my lower left jaw area. I went to the endodontic because I just knew it had to be my teeth and he could not find anything wrong. He told me it could be some type of neuralgia, so I looked up this site. After reading all this I think this is what I have. Sunday and Monday the pain was horrible then Tuesday no pain at all, now today it has started again not as bad as Monday but it is there waiting to take over. So I think I will make an appointment with a neurologist. Thanks for all the info!!

Comment from: gwlemons, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I was diagnosed with TN about 4 years ago at age 51. Out of nowhere I started having intense pain on the left side of my face and after a week of this I went to my doctor who then passed me on to a specialist. I have been on six different meds and wound up taking Lyrica. I was up to 9 pills a day (75mg each). After 6 months of this one day it just stopped hurting. That was almost 2 years ago. Within the last 2 months though i have been experiencing mild pain again up until this last weekend when the headaches started getting worse and worse. I really do not want to wind up in bed for days as mine is constant pain, it hurts all the time and on both sides of my head. I started back with Lyrica but it is really driving me nuts with the side effects. Hopefully I can get this under control and go back to being normal!

Comment from: kmbckmn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My first attack occurred on August 16, 2007. I was 43. I was and am active, I train horses. It took 3 months to be diagnosed and finally was prescribed carbamazepine 200 mg. After the loading period I was up to 5.5 pills per day and spent most of my time a walking drunk for the next two years. Afraid to decrease the dosage for fear of the pain returning. I have been on maintenance of 2 pills per day and have been mostly pain free until this past weekend. Saturday started out fine but by mid day the pain had increased, by bedtime it was worse and by 2 a.m. it was unbearable. Sunday was spent in bed waiting for it to go away. Thankfully by Sunday evening it had mostly disappeared leaving me exhausted. I am self employed thankfully and taking it easy today. I have no idea why it came back or how it left. Just very glad I can get back to myself.

Comment from: vanessa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

When I first found out about trigeminal neuralgia, I thought I was crazy. I had TN about for about five years. I had the surgery and it worked for three years. The pain is back again and I am taking carbamazepine 100mg, two pills, three times a day and gabapentin, one pill, three times a day. So far, so good.

Comment from: jctomes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I developed TN four years ago when I was diagnosed with bilateral brain tumors. Both have since been removed, but I am in worse physical shape than before. When my neurosurgeon removed the trigeminal schwannoma, he said that the tumor had all but destroyed all three nerves. I have had daily pain for four years without any breaks. I am not a candidate for any further treatment.

Comment from: Lynn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

It started in December went to the dentist for a check-up. The dentist said that I had decay on tooth #19, but it had a bridge connecting my wisdom tooth. He had to remove bridge and drill on the wisdom tooth. From that day on I've had two root canals one on the wisdom tooth and one on tooth #14. I have had so much pain on left side of mouth that they say now I have neuralgia. I am taking 3 gabapentin a day.

Comment from: Hunter, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was in a car accident where my face hit the steering wheel, breaking my nose and cheek bone. Now I have numbness in the right side of my face. I've started to experience nerve pain felt like an electric shock running through my eye. My therapist said it was just my nerves trying to rejuvenate. I was drinking coffee three weeks ago and out of the blue I had this pain that I can't describe. I couldn't talk, eat, or drink, then it went away. I thought it was my wisdom teeth. I went to my doctor in tears and she told me that I have TN. Now I'm on medications to manage the pain. My life has completely changed. I don't leave my house without my pain meds. This is no fun at all.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain)

Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>
CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are an important diagnostic tool for a variety of medical conditions. The process uses X-rays and a computer to produce...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?