Viewer Comments: Tuberculosis - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tuberculosis:

Tuberculosis - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your tuberculosis established?

Comment from: jessie, 25-34 (Patient) Published: April 01

I had been diagnosed with TB. Prior to that, I also coughed for two months and had a fever every afternoon with unexplained sweating. At first I thought it was just a simple fever due to extreme weather and stress at work, but it went on for three consecutive months. Little by little, I started losing weight. I'll be having my fifth check-up with my doctor and another X-ray soon.

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am a final year graduate student. I've been coughing for two months and every time I visited the doctor, he used to prescribe antibiotics. Finally, within no time I lost a lot of weight and became so weak that I was unable to stand. An X-ray and blood tests were taken and I was diagnosed with TB. I was then immediately admitted to the hospital for 15days.i

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I went to the doctor concerned about a cough I've had for more than three weeks. I'm very exhausted and not at all interested in food. I was coughing so much, I nearly passed out. This was repeated over and over. I had blood tests and X-rays and a TB test. I got a large red spot that felt like there was an egg under my skin. Today, my doctor said that I test positive for tuberculosis.

Comment from: t.c, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

After my dad got infected by the disease, I had to take his sputum to the labs, and I spilled in my pocket, a year later, I began feeling weak, lost my appetite, a dry cough, with blood stains at times. Went to see my doctor, had an X-ray and sputum test and it was positive. Then I went on treatment for six months.

Comment from: Caroline, Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My diagnosis rests on the sputum test. I have never been treated for TB but was surprised after my first bout with pneumonia. I thought they made a mistake, but no. The 1995 x-ray showed clear lungs so I knew I must have had it since coming to New Zealand. I have struggled with fatigue for years, but I go running 3 times a week and practice yoga once a week. They seem pretty casual about TB here in NZ, and while I wait for the results of the test. I have not been told to isolate myself in any way.

Comment from: Robyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I have just been told I have had TB but am no longer infected. My doctor was treating me for other respiratory infection and only a ct scan being done for my back produced the evidence of TB. I had night sweats (nothing unusual there as I am in my 60's and female) lost 17kgs and was literally drowning in mucus. I had terrible pain in back and chest headaches and no interest in food whatsoever, very weak and sleeping pretty much all the time. I live in country Australia and after 6 months of putting up with the symptoms stated above went to Sydney to see a doctor who knew what she was talking about and was put on two different antibiotics and steroids for 3 months, but once again for pneumonia and not TB. It seems that this disease is very hard to diagnose, as this doctor also thought it was not TB. Now all my friends and family have to be tested and are not happy about it, but I did not know I was walking around with TB.

Comment from: Bubun, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

My tuberculosis was diagnosed after I suffered a mild fever, weakness, pleural effusion, and pain in left side of lower chest when coughing.

Comment from: Mls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

Well, I am a rheumatoid arthritis patient and so nothing really works for me (pain control) so I now will try one other medication, which is infusion once every six months. My doctor decided to do a TB test just because it's been a year since we last tested. So now I'm positive for TB. Wish me strength.

Comment from: subramanian, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I had a bad cough and a high fever for a week. I was tested and the TB was confirmed through a sputum test.

Comment from: anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I became sick with what everyone including me thought was just a bad case of pneumonia. I was hospitalized by a pulmonary specialist after coughing up blood after two weeks of not responding to strong iv antibiotics he realized something worse was going on. I underwent a lung biopsy that confirmed active tuberculosis. After severe weight loss wheezing in my chest and those awful fevers, I began a long multi-drug therapy that saved my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Tuberculosis

Bacterial Pneumonia
Bacterial Pneumonia Pneumonia is an infection of the lungs. People with pneumonia usually complain about coughing, fever, shortness of breath, and chest pain. Your body's imm...learn more >>
Chemical Pneumonia
Chemical Pneumonia Chemical pneumonia is a type of lung irritation. Many substances can cause chemical pneumonia including liquids, gasses, dust, fumes, and lung aspiration. Sympt...learn more >>
Chest X-Ray
Chest X-Ray Chest X-ray is a common procedure ordered to diagnose certain diseases and conditions such as pneumonia, congestive heart failure, emphysema, lung masses or nod...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tuberculosis:

Tuberculosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your tuberculosis?

Tuberculosis - Prognosis

What is your tuberculosis prognosis?