Ulcerative Colitis (cont.)
Ulcerative Colitis Prognosis
- Ulcerative colitis is not a fatal illness, but it is a lifelong illness.
- Most people with ulcerative colitis continue to lead normal, useful, and productive lives, even though they may need to take medications every day, and occasionally need to be hospitalized.
- Maintenance medication has been shown to decrease flare-ups of ulcerative colitis.
- Surgery may be required in some patients, but it is not required in every patient with ulcerative colitis.
- Routine cancer screening is a must for those who do not undergo surgical removal of the colon.
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American Board of Surgery
MedscapeReference.com. Ulcerative Colitis.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/11/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Ulcerative Colitis
Abdominal Pain in Adults
Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis: