Ulcerative Colitis (cont.)
Ulcerative Colitis Prognosis
- Ulcerative colitis is not a fatal illness, but it is a lifelong illness.
- Most people with ulcerative colitis continue to lead normal, useful, and productive lives, even though they may need to take medications every day, and occasionally need to be hospitalized.
- Maintenance medication has been shown to decrease flare-ups of ulcerative colitis.
- Surgery may be required in some patients, but it is not required in every patient with ulcerative colitis.
- Routine cancer screening is a must for those who do not undergo surgical removal of the colon.
Medically reviewed by Martin E Zipser, MD; American Board of Surgery
MedscapeReference.com. Ulcerative Colitis.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/11/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Ulcerative Colitis
An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>
The human colon is a muscular, tube-shaped organ measuring about 4 feet long. It extends from the end of your small bowel to your anus. Most colon cancers start...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis: