Viewer Comments: Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis:

Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1994, when I went to the emergency room for rectal bleeding. For years, I was not in a financial position to get treatment. I tried raw foods, going vegan for a while, and it kept symptoms to a minimum for a few years. Then two years ago, I started having diarrhea with mucus and sometimes blood several times a day. Every meal ended with an emergency trip to the bathroom. Then my symptoms swung around the other way, and I stopped digesting food at all. I'd have a lump of food in the transverse colon for days, and the pain and swelling was unbearable. Eventually, I would get frustrated and drink a pot of black coffee so I could go to the bathroom, which ended up being just as runny and bloody as before. I've been waiting a year for my insurance to kick in at work. Now I'm waiting for approval on my referral to a specialist. I am afraid my poverty is going to cause colon cancer.

Comment from: tucker, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

The symptoms I experienced for ulcerative colitis were bloody diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and weight loss. My doc said the UC is not that bad in me but it could get worse if I don't follow a healthy diet and take dairy products. He said that is the only key in UC to follow the diet given by the doctor and medicine plays a little role, it just makes your symptoms a little better for some time but after that it depends just on your diet.

Comment from: ColleenMc , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have diarrhea with black stool.

Comment from: mybodyhatesme, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I was diagnosed with UC last year. For about three years, I had occasional bloody stools, abdominal pain, and an insane urge to have a bowel movement

Comment from: MsG, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm very interested in anyone that was diagnosed with UC after contact with a virus/bacteria such as salmonella. I had salmonella to begin with, however after suffering for over 12 weeks I was then diagnosed with UC. Since then, I have been living with UC for 4 years now and before each flare, I am faced with a virus such as a cold or flu. I'm interested in any insight or personal experiences.

Must Read Articles Related to Ulcerative Colitis

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>
Colon Cancer
Colon Cancer The human colon is a muscular, tube-shaped organ measuring about 4 feet long. It extends from the end of your small bowel to your anus, twisting and turning thr...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis:

Ulcerative Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your ulcerative Colitis?