Understanding Allergy and Hay Fever Medications (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
What Medical Treatments Are Used for Allergies and Hay Fever?
Although it is not always possible, one should attempt to avoid contact with known or suspected allergens. (If you have cats and are allergic to cat dander, it is best to reconsider having cats.) At first, some nonprescription antihistamines or decongestants may be tried to decrease nasal congestion (that "stuffed up" feeling), a runny nose, and itching or watery eyes. If symptoms persist, a doctor or health-care professional may prescribe a prescription-strength medication. The following sections discuss some common medications for allergies and hay fever.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/6/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Understanding Allergy and Hay Fever Medications
- Allergic Rhinitis: Symptoms and Treatments
- Antihistamines vs. Decongestants
- Treating Severe Allergies
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?