Alzheimer's Disease Medications
What is Alzheimer's Disease?
- Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia in industrialized nations.
- Dementia is a brain disorder that interferes with a person's ability to carryout everyday activities.
- Alzheimer's disease usually affects the parts of the brain that control cognitive (intellectual) functions such as thought, memory, and language.
What Causes Alzheimer's Disease?
- Aging is a risk factor for developing Alzheimer's disease (AD), but most experts believe that Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging.
- Family history or genetics may be linked to the cause of Alzheimer's disease, but much research is currently in progress to better understand the cause.
- This research will also assist us in knowing more about how to best prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/4/2016
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Alzheimer's Disease Medications: