Alzheimer's Disease Medications
What is Alzheimer's Disease?
- Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia in industrialized nations.
- Dementia is a brain disorder that interferes with a person's ability to carryout everyday activities.
- Alzheimer's disease usually affects the parts of the brain that control cognitive (intellectual) functions such as thought, memory, and language.
What Causes Alzheimer's Disease?
- Aging is a risk factor for developing Alzheimer's disease (AD), but most experts believe that Alzheimer's disease is not a normal part of aging.
- Family history or genetics may be linked to the cause of Alzheimer's disease, but much research is currently in progress to better understand the cause.
- This research will also assist us in knowing more about how to best prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/4/2016
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Understanding Alzheimer Disease Medications
Alzheimer's disease (AZ) is the most common cause of dementia in industrialized nations. The symptoms of Alzheimer's disease are sublte at the beginning, and ov...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease FAQs
Alzheimer's disease is a fatal brain disorder. Familial and sporadic are the two types of Alzheimer's disease. The three stages include early, intermediate, and...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease Stages: Symptoms and Signs
Alzheimer's disease is one of the many causes of dementia. Symptoms of Alzheimer's disease typically progress over a period of years. There are warning signs of...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Alzheimer's Disease Medications: