Understanding Alzheimer Disease Medications (cont.)
Various trials are in progress to find other treatments for Alzheimer's disease. The following list includes some drugs that have been studied or are currently being studied. Some of these drugs are already on the market and used for other diseases or indications, while others are investigational drugs not yet available.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): NSAIDs, such as naproxen (Aleve), have been studied to determine if their anti-inflammatory action slows the brain damage caused by Alzheimer's disease.
- Nutritional and herbal drugs: Vitamin E is being studied to see if it decreases brain damage and ginkgo biloba is being studied to see if it helps decrease symptoms.
- Estrogen: Formal trials have been disappointing; one study showed no effect on Alzheimer's disease progression, another showed women older than 65 years taking estrogen and progesterone had twice the rate of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease.
- Drugs used to decrease heart disease risk: Statin drugs, folic acid, and vitamins B-6 and B-12 are also being studied to see if Alzheimer's disease is decreased when taking these for prevention of heart disease.
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors: Ganstigmine (CHF2819), phenserine, zanapezil (TAK-147) are newer cholinesterase inhibitors that have additional protective actions in Alzheimer's disease.
- A-beta production inhibitors: Gamma-secretase inhibitor
- ATP production stimulator: Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH, Memex) in theory helps regain normal cellular energy production in Alzheimer's disease to slow progression and alleviate symptoms.
Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology
"Clinical features and diagnosis of Alzheimer disease"
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/4/2016
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Understanding Alzheimer Disease Medications
Alzheimer's disease (AZ) is the most common cause of dementia in industrialized nations. The symptoms of Alzheimer's disease are sublte at the beginning, and ov...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease FAQs
Alzheimer's disease is a fatal brain disorder. Familial and sporadic are the two types of Alzheimer's disease. The three stages include early, intermediate, and...learn more >>
Alzheimer's Disease Stages: Symptoms and Signs
Alzheimer's disease is one of the many causes of dementia. Symptoms of Alzheimer's disease typically progress over a period of years. There are warning signs of...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Alzheimer's Disease Medications: