Viewer Comments: Cholesterol Lowering Medications - Side Effects

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Lowering Medications:

Cholesterol Lowering Medications - Side Effects

Please share your experience with statins side effects.

Comment from: desinnov, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I started taking Lipitor (statin) in 2001 and stopped taking it in 2006 due to gradual memory loss which was apparent to my husband and children. It got so bad that every conversation with family was always ending with me denying that I'd ever heard what they were telling me and being bewildered and upset. It took almost 5 months before I was back to normal.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been on statin medication off and on for 15 months now, and I have been in a lot of pain in my feet and ankle. Now I have very bad pain in my left hand and wrist and the right hand. I stay very busy all the time. For the past two weeks I haven't been able to do yard work, it is so painful. It was so painful yesterday to even make the bed with clean sheets or cooking dinner or cleaning up after dinner. I had a shot today in the right wrist in hopes it helps so I will be able to sleep tonight. I am stopping the statin as of 11/13/2015 and see what happens in the next 10 days. The pain is awful. Hello doctors, listen to the patients and start talking to each other.

Must Read Articles Related to Understanding Cholesterol-Lowering Medications

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading abou...learn more >>
Lifestyle Cholesterol Management
Lifestyle Cholesterol Management Lifestyle cholesterol management is important to lower your risk for heart disease (heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease). Cholesterol management...learn more >>
Statins
Statins and Cholesterol Statins are a class of drug prescribed for reducing blood cholesterol levels in individuals with high cholesterol. Examples of statins available include: atorva...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Lowering Medications:

High Cholesterol - Treatment

What was the treatment for your high cholesterol?

Cholesterol Lower Medications - Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cholesterol lowering medications.