Viewer Comments: Cholesterol Lower Medications - Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Lowering Medications:

Cholesterol Lower Medications - Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cholesterol lowering medications.

Comment from: shari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I tried pravastatin 10mg for 4 days and felt so bad that I thought I was going to have to go to the ER. I had shakes and trembling, light headedness, headache, fumble fingers, and constipation. I felt like a limp dishrag. The shaking and trembling were horrible. It was as if your body was reacting to "cold" and your insides were shaking to warm up....even though you were not cold. I stopped after 4 days and it is 2 1/2 days post medication and the effects are finally starting to wear off. I am still a little shaky and weak, but getting better. I NEVER want to take anything like this again. I was fine the day before this medication...and now am getting back to before. The effects started the very first day of the medication. I kept thinking it would pass. It only got worse with each day. Be very careful trying these statins and be aware of anything unusual, especially if you were fine right before starting it.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My physician has tried several different methods to lower my cholesterol. Each of them causes muscle and joint pain, the most extreme reaction was brown urine while taking Crestor. Side effects include short-term memory difficulties, joint pain to the point where medication is required for normal activity and mood changes-which all affect my ability to work- so I stop the drugs after a few months. I have history of Epstein-Barr Virus and lyme disease.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I was diagnosed with EBV virus and then lymes disease. I could hardly walk because of Lipitor. I am still suffering with EBV and my liver enzymes have been elevated on and off for over 2 years. My Doctor is sending me for a liver ultrasound and my cholesterol levels are high since stopping the Lipitor 4 months ago. I don't know if there is a drug that would lower my cholesterol levels without crippling me. I've tried changing my diet and that hasn't worked. I'm taking 1200 mg of fish oil twice a day hoping that, that will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Must Read Articles Related to Understanding Cholesterol-Lowering Medications

Cholesterol FAQs
Cholesterol FAQs Test your cholesterol IQ by reading about cholesterol FAQs (cholesterol facts) like the risk factors for high cholesterol (diet, lack of exercise, smoking, here...learn more >>
Lifestyle Cholesterol Management
Lifestyle Cholesterol Management Lifestyle cholesterol management is important to lower your risk for heart disease (heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease). Cholesterol management...learn more >>
Statins
Statins and Cholesterol Statins are a class of drug prescribed for reducing blood cholesterol levels in individuals with high cholesterol. Examples of statins available include: atorva...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cholesterol Lowering Medications:

High Cholesterol - Treatment

What was the treatment for your high cholesterol?

Cholesterol Lowering Medications - Side Effects

Please share your experience with statins side effects.