Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: September 11

I am a 24-year-old Latina. In August, I was experiencing severe pain in my abdomen, so I went to the ER to get it checked out. The doctor told me that I probably had kidney stones, and they could not see them with the ultrasound. He did not want to do a CT scan because of my age, so he gave me medicine to help me pass the stones. Two weeks ago, I had to return to the ER because I was having more severe pain. This time they did an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The doctor said the results were inconclusive. I followed up with my doctor, and she scheduled a trans-vag ultrasound, which I did yesterday. She called last night to tell me the results had not come back yet, but she got the full report of my ER visit. She then told me that it showed a uterine fibroid that I have had since 2004! Nobody ever told me that, and I gave birth in 2006. I cannot believe that I have lived with this for four, almost five, years and no one said anything. In late 2004 early 2005, I had an ultrasound performed because I had lower abdominal pain that the doctors wrote off as a UTI, which is funny because the only symptom I had was the pain. I didn't have any urinary symptoms at all. It also showed gallstones, which they also did not tell me about in the ER.

Comment from: yams41, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have uterine fibroids and have had them for years. When my OB/GYN first told me I had fibroids, we decided to take the watch-and-wait route because I didn't have any problems. Now about 10 years later, I have severe/killer cramps, backaches, and constipation. I do not want to have a hysterectomy and my doctor also feels the same. Since I am close to menopause, he suggests that I keep playing the waiting game. I don't have any heavy bleeding, probably thanks to the birth control pills that I take. I found that if I take a painkiller on the first sign of pain, it help lessens the severe cramps. I am also starting to watch my diet. I make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Exercise also helps reduce the cramping.

Comment from: Trish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am scheduled for a uterine ultrasound tomorrow because my gynecologist thinks I have fibroids. I'm 35 and am petrified that it is something else (cancer). The last 3 months I've noticed my lower stomach bulging a little and having to urinate more often.

Comment from: Annomous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was told by my doctor that my uterus was the size of a woman who is four months pregnant.

Comment from: Angeil, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 30-year-old female. I had been experiencing pain during intercourse and heavy bleeding during my cycles (five days). I would have really bad cramping as well. I went to my fertility doctor who noticed five fibroids. We did surgery a month later and she discovered eight more with three weighing a pound a piece. I am now recovering now and it's been about two months since the surgery and I feel so much better. No feeling of urinating or pressure in my lower abdominal area, and no pain during sex. Unfortunately the only way for us to get pregnant is IVF but that is our next step after I fully heal.

Comment from: dorah angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 26 years of age and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I was going into my periods and I had too much pain in the lower abdomen and the back was aching plus my legs.

Comment from: Rosemary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've been having heavy bleeding. In March of this year I lost so much blood I had to have three units of blood a transfusion. It turns out I have fibroids was given a shot to stop the bleeding and it worked but after the six weeks when I got my period it was non-stop bleeding and I was supposed to have a biopsy wasn't able to so I got put on the birth control pills and it stop the bleeding, and I go in two days for a biopsy.

Comment from: Emma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 31 and have 3 small fibroids. I was diagnosed when i was 28. Last year i had to have a blood transfusion as I was so anemic. I have large clots every period I have and pain. I have tried the Mirena coil twice. Both times it fell out. I have been put on the pill now and have been bleeding non -top ever since I started taking them. I am hoping something can be done to help me.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?