Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: Emma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 31 and have 3 small fibroids. I was diagnosed when i was 28. Last year i had to have a blood transfusion as I was so anemic. I have large clots every period I have and pain. I have tried the Mirena coil twice. Both times it fell out. I have been put on the pill now and have been bleeding non -top ever since I started taking them. I am hoping something can be done to help me.

Comment from: onek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Hello, I'm 30, Asian female, on December 2009 I was diagnosed multiple myoma and I just had my myomectomi surgery this year. I sensed a huge solid tumor in my abdomen accidently, cramping in each of my periods, frequent in urinating, started to constipation, bloating and vomiting after eating, pain in my lower back.

Comment from: nurse 81, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 46 years old & have 3 fibroids that have caused my uterus to be the size of a woman who is 6 months pregnant. My clothes no longer fit and my periods are so heavy at times that I cannot leave the house. I have to have an abdominal hysterectomy due the size, as a vaginal hysterectomy will not work, as I was told. I have had 2 C-sections and I am scared facing another major abdominal surgery, but plan to do it in 2 months. I cannot live like this anymore. My periods are 3 weeks apart & last 5-7 days. This whole thing really stinks!

Comment from: jade whirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have fibroids. Two that are 6cm; one in my uterus and one growing on the back side of it. I have heavy flow, large blood clots and lots and lots of pain. I have pelvic pain, back pain, I have to pee all the time and I now have nerve damage or pain to my pelvic area. I think I will die of this because I do not have insurance and cannot afford the operation to have my uterus removed. I have gone to the doctor for this and had ultrasound done that is how I know the size. But I was told it would cost $25,000.00 which I do not have and I do not qualify for welfare.

Comment from: Leonie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

Have just symptoms of others and they are the same. I have had lower back pain like kidney pain and cannot sit or stand for too long. It makes me feel like I'm an old woman. I am only 42, two kids. For the last 3 months I have very heavy periods even where I could not leave the house and they now seem to be never-ending. My doctor said to wait. But I know that it is fibroids. My mother had them at the same age and had a hysterectomy. I do notice that if I am "good" with my food the pain tends to disappear or at least get less obvious. I'm coming back as a man next time!!!!

Comment from: Indian Female, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 30 years old and I had an operation for uterine fibroids about three months ago. We are planning to conceive. My doctor just found another fibroid and wants to operate again, which I don't want because I want to have a baby. I am deeply worried.

Comment from: ladyV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 57 years old, last period 3 years ago. Recently start bleeding for the pass 3 months. No history of HRT use. I have a history of fibroids, recent transvaginal ultrasound shows fibroids are small and no changes from 3 years ago exam. I thought fibroids were supposed to shrink when one get older, but apparently my fibroids found some estrogen along the way. My hormone levels show FSH 16 and LH 11 which is low level for 57 year old. My internist is referring me to GYN for possible biopsy to play it safe.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

Hi, I am 43 and have a son who is 7 and I had a miscarriage 3 years ago. My family has a history of fibrous growths (breast as well as uterus). Last year I had surgery for fibroids, endometriosis and a uterine cyst. Since early November '09 I have been experiencing pain in the lower abdomen near the ovaries. I again have a fibroid (growing thru the back wall of the uterus this time) and they are assuming endometriosis again as well. Surgery to remove the fibroid is on Jan. 5th 2010. They will check on/remove whatever else should not be there. I should say that my husband and I are still trying to have another child. So we really didn't want a hysterectomy. I have been on increasingly stronger pain medication as the time has progressed. Good luck to all who are going through this!

Comment from: debbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Some months ago, I was scared because I thought I would never be able to have children. I still have heavy bleeding, but my doctor said that I don't need surgery to remove the fibroid because it's small. She told me I will be okay.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.