Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: red, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have suffered from fibroids for at least 5 to 7 years. It first began when I was much younger around 14 - 15 with very heavy cycles, and I stayed undiagnosed due to my being overweight. Every doctor said I just needed to lose weight. Finally found a good doctor and she knew right off it was fibroids. She prescribed birth control pills and I just took ibuprofen for pain. Eventually, the pain got so bad and I was taking so much ibuprofen I became allergic to it, and I had the fibroids removed. About 2 to 3 years later the fibroids have returned, but I do not have the heavy bleeding like before or the intense pain. I am just taking a “watch and wait” approach to more surgery. I'm 32 now and don't want a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Italian-Canadian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I'm 49 yrs old and have had fibroids it seems forever. First 2 pregnancies were miscarriages from the fibroids. My son was born via c-section because fibroids were blocking the cervix. I had a myomectomy to remove the fibroids one year after his birth. Became pregnant with my daughter 4 years later and delivered her by c-section. Now 9 years later I have a fibroid the size of a football causing me severe cramping, bleeding constantly and clots the size of oranges. I've been hospitalized twice for the severe bleeding, and I have been on meds for years to control the bleeding. A hysterectomy is not recommended because surgeons are concerned that the uterus will be stuck to the other organs because of the 3 surgeries I've had. I'm under the care of another surgeon at the moment, and he has done a biopsy of the uterus to try and determine the best way to remove this mammoth of a fibroid.

Comment from: aunt bea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My doctors prescribed progesterone, and I have been taking it for the last two months. The result is that this has caused the fibroids and my uterus to prolapse. I am scheduled for surgery on the 9th of December.

Comment from: Tori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 52 years old, and kept thinking that these heavy periods are going to come to an end. But they keep coming, disrupting my life, I have suffered with heavy periods for many years. I finally decided to go and have a uterine ablation done. They did an ultrasound, found out I have a 7cc Fibroid. So I was not a candidate for that procedure. After several months of still putting up with heavy periods, low iron, back pain and some urinary problems, I decided to have my uterus and cervix removed. The surgery is coming up next week, I am very nervous but I can't take it anymore!!!

Comment from: kitkat1851, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Hello. I'm a 33 year old African American female. I had been experiencing severe pain in my lower back abdomen and shooting pains down my thighs. My abdomen area was hard and swollen. I went into the emergency room because I knew something was wrong. To make a long story short...I had large uterine fibroids. My uterus was enlarged. I had 3 big fibroids that caused my uterus to be the size of a woman 4 months pregnant. My doctor suggested that I get a partial hysterectomy. I have been married for 10 years and have a 14 year old son. My husband doesn't have any biological children of his own so, a hysterectomy was out of the question because we want another child. We have been trying to get pregnant for years. I went in to see my OBGYN. She knew my concerns and that I wanted more children so she suggested that I have another procedure. I really didn't want to have the surgery again, but if I don't have the procedure done, my chances of becoming pregnant are dramatically decreased. In the end, I'm having surgery at the end of November.

Comment from: quinonespearl, Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 25 years old, and I just found out that I have a uterine fibroid the size of a walnut inside of my uterus! For seven years, I've been getting pain two weeks before my period, frequent urination, constipation, bloating and lower back pain. My gyno used to tell me that it was OK. When my pain got worse, I insisted on a sonogram!

Comment from: libralove10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have problems with a swollen uterus and is due for an xray and a follow. I have very bad pains in my abdomen pelvic area its hard for me to run play with my son and also lifting pulling and pushing. I have to sleep on my sides or my back( sometimes)I often have trouble sleeping. I feel like an 85 year old lady sometimes it hurts for me to get around sometimes and I'm only 25 yrs old!!! Good luck to all.

Comment from: yohan133, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I just went to my PCP and she did a pelvic exam. She told me that I have a large fibroid that she can feel and it is overlapping my bladder. Hence the reason my bladder is bothering me feeling like I need to urinate all the time. I have been feeling dizzy and lightheaded from a month ago when I had some extreme pain like cramping. Don't know what happened but I have been feeling weird ever since then. She is going to schedule me for an ultrasound in a month. My periods have been getting much worse and clots are the size of 50 cent pieces. I'm sure I'm anemic now but there is nothing I can do but wait.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.