Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Comment from: private, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 57 and have had multiple fibroids since my early 30s. The fibroids do not cause any major problems except I have a slightly "pregnant appearance". I was always under the impression that after menopause they would shrink. I had my last menstrual period in 2001 and the fibroids are still there. Its not that they are growing but they haven't shrunk either. I am disappointed that they haven't and I feel I was misled. I probably should have had a hysterectomy years ago. The medical community should emphasize that fibroids do not shrink.

Comment from: Barb1235, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 24 years old. In August I had pain in my lower right abdomen, and went to the E.R I was told I had ovarian cysts. I had a laparoscopy to remove the cysts. Every month since then I get pain about 10 days before my cycle. I've had CT scans and ultrasounds and nothing has shown other then free fluid. I recently switched GYN and he did an MRI 2days ago which show I have a small fibroid, now he tells me I need to have a hysterectomy within 5yrs. The only problem I have is the pain I really wish there was a way to deal with the pain without surgery. I really want to have another baby.

I found out I had a large uterine fibroid when I was pregnant. It was growing as fast as the baby and was really scary.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.