Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

...
Comment from: nataki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed with fibroids at the age of 28. A myomectomy was done and 4 fibroids were removed, the largest the size of a golf ball. I had not been actively trying after the surgery, however I now want a child and have one fibroid the size of a 4 month old baby. HSG (hysterosalpingography) was done, and Clomid done (2 cycles). Blood test done, telling me that i am producing viable eggs (not much though). Doctor is telling me I am ovulating normally. Dear hubby was put on Proviron to strengthen his swimmers but to no avail, it was not consistent.

Comment from: blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I recently had a hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove a 3 cm submucosal fibroid. Prior to the procedure I was having heavy cycles but they were manageable. My first month after the procedure, cycle was very heavy and I wasn't expecting it to happen. My second cycle was even heavier with gushing blood, soaked pads and clothes. My doctor put me on birth control to control the bleeding. My third month cycle was even worse. During my second and third month cycle my blood level has dropped causing me to have anemia. My follow-up after the procedure happened before my second and third cycles, and the doctor said she removed the fibroid and everything looked good. Every month since my procedure I have called my doctor and had many visits because something wasn't right. This procedure was supposed to make things better. Finally during my last visit I wanted answers as to what is happening. They kept saying I had heavy abnormal bleeding but it wasn't like that before. During my last visit my doctor finally told me that there was a portion of the fibroid left which was contradictory to the original diagnosis and post-procedure follow-up. The remaining piece could be causing the problem, but she didn't request an ultrasound to see what was going on. However, she had me to do a blood test for my thyroid because that could cause heavy bleeding also. I got a second opinion from another doctor and he found that the remaining fibroid was 4 cm and was submucosal. So the fibroid was not 3 cm but 7 cm. I am so frustrated because I have anemia that I didn't have before, and I have to have another procedure to remove the remaining fibroid.

Comment from: shei, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am 37 and have an 11 year old daughter. I stopped taking pills in January because my husband and I were trying to get pregnant. As soon as I stopped the pill, my period was heavy. I just ignored it because I thought it was just normal when you stop the pill. I took supplements later and my period was still heavy. About 5 months later the doctor gave me Ova-mit to help me produce eggs when I ovulate. Then just about 2 weeks after I took them (I was asked to take 5 starting on the first day of my menses), I experienced a sharp pain in my lower abdomen which went to my back. I went to the doctor then to have an ultrasound and found out I have 2 fibroids which are about 3 cm. The doctor told me not to be alarmed about it but will monitor its progress. I am taking my supplements from Usana which I have heard will help decrease their size. I have read a lot that even if you had it removed, there's a tendency that more will grow back. So I will stick to this option first.

Comment from: kay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 44 year patient who is suffering from uterine fibroids. However, I don't have problem with bleeding but am getting serious back pain and have recently experienced a uterus prolapse because of the fibroid pressing on my womb. I don't want to get surgery because I have keloid skin and don't want another scar on my body.

Comment from: lollybear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had my uterus removed. I had multiples fibroids and one looked the size of a baby's head when it was removed. I kept my cervix and my ovaries but now I'm starting to bleed off and on and cramping like I'm on my period.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female Published: October 07

I was told I had a small uterine fibroid but didn't have to worry about it. However, I had cramping, back pain, the feeling of needing to urinate, and anemia. I was given iron pills for anemia and birth control pills to decrease bleeding. Unfortunately, I was in the small percentage of people who didn't tolerate iron by mouth. (I experienced nausea and vomiting.) So, I ended up getting iron via an IV. I think the birth control pills "fed" the uterine fibroids, and I ended up getting an emergency myomectomy because the fibroids caused me to hemorrhage. The doctor thought the fibroid was much smaller than it was, but she didn't know until she operated. My advice is to take care of them and not just take pain pills. I ended up on disability because I was so weak from anemia. However, after surgery, I never had any more cramps, back pain, the bleeding was miniscule, and I was like a new person. It took three months to recover though, because I had been anemic.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Irregular vaginal bleeding can be caused by dysfunctional uterine bleeding (for example, unbalanced hormones that affect the menstrual cycle, and trauma), learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?