Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: Marie1534, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 24 years old and have I fibroid the size of a tennis ball. I am going to get a myomectomy because it is causing me pain already and my periods are so heavy. Also I want to have children in the next year or two. I will have to have C-sections with my children due to the surgery which I will take that over the risk of interrupting a pregnancy.

Comment from: ribbon in the sky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had the surgery to remove my fibroids. They were large in growth, my doctor said they were all together the size of a five month pregnancy. Before the surgery I experienced lots of bleeding, pain and longer periods. I had the surgery to remove my fibroids, but there were so many they could only remove the larger ones. The pain after the surgery was the worst pain I have ever experienced besides childbirth. Now four years later, I still have some small fibroids I have some pain from them. I have one in my bowel area so I have constipation. Hopefully I will go thru menopause soon and they will stop growing.

Comment from: odornell, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I had my first surgery at the age of 18 and a second one at the age of 27. I still feel pain from my fibroids Three years after my last surgery, my doctor wants to do another to make sure that I am able to give birth someday.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I didn't have much pain, but did have lots of bleeding I had Mirena inserted to stop the bleeding. I didn't have periods, only spotting for about six months. I noticed my stomach was getting bigger, but since I was 38, I thought it was just a sign of middle age. One night I woke up with stomach pain. My doctor performed an ultrasound and asked if I had ever been diagnosed with fibroids. A hysterectomy was recommended. By then I was 46, had my family, and was fine with that option. I thought they might be able to do laparoscopic surgery, but the fibroid was too big. What was supposed to be a 60- to 90- minute operation turned into 6 hours. The fibroid weighed 6 kg. I haven't looked backed: the operation was great and I have no more pain. I walked out of hospital 7kg lighter.

Comment from: scaredy cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was diagnosed with fibroids in 2006 when I was 42. I am now 48 and have been living with them and waiting for menopause because I am terrified of surgery. I was on the pill, but I had a bad reaction when my carrier switched brands they would cover at a low price. I have had my stomach blow up to where I looked six months pregnant and then passed clots. I recently passed about six clots that felt like I was giving birth. Other than that I haven't had any pain. A friend suggested that I take a supplement called Vitex. It is available at most vitamin stores. I have since started buying it online. I recently switched multivitamins and the new one has Vitex in it. So I am taking twice as much as I used to. I haven't had many clots since and I don't bleed between periods any longer. I usually have one really bad day that I have to change every hour. Other than that it's bearable. I haven't been to the doctor since March 2010 because he thought I should have surgery. Although my fibroids are annoying I am living with them.

Comment from: Niecy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm in my early 40s, and I've been having problems with my period since my early 20s. I have four fibroids on my uterus. It's causing me so much pain when my period is on 5-7 days, I have cramping, I can't get out of bed because of no energy with being an anemic. I have back pain, and irregular and heavy periods with blood clots. I've had three D&Cs to scrape my uterus. I have taken birth control and nothing has worked. This runs in my family.

Comment from: wilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I woke up seven weeks ago on a Sunday hurting so bad didn't know what was wrong. I went to the ER that night and did ultrasound and found a fibroid. It was the size of a soccer ball. I've finally had it removed.

Comment from: Bedella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 45 yea old mother with three childern. Within the last year I have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids. I've had the ultrasounds done and has found several fibroids some being as large as 3.5 cm. In the last couple of years I have experienced lower abdomen pain, swelling and heavy bleeding. For some reason, my doctor is not very concerned.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?