Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

...
Comment from: scaredy cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was diagnosed with fibroids in 2006 when I was 42. I am now 48 and have been living with them and waiting for menopause because I am terrified of surgery. I was on the pill, but I had a bad reaction when my carrier switched brands they would cover at a low price. I have had my stomach blow up to where I looked six months pregnant and then passed clots. I recently passed about six clots that felt like I was giving birth. Other than that I haven't had any pain. A friend suggested that I take a supplement called Vitex. It is available at most vitamin stores. I have since started buying it online. I recently switched multivitamins and the new one has Vitex in it. So I am taking twice as much as I used to. I haven't had many clots since and I don't bleed between periods any longer. I usually have one really bad day that I have to change every hour. Other than that it's bearable. I haven't been to the doctor since March 2010 because he thought I should have surgery. Although my fibroids are annoying I am living with them.

Comment from: Niecy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm in my early 40s, and I've been having problems with my period since my early 20s. I have four fibroids on my uterus. It's causing me so much pain when my period is on 5-7 days, I have cramping, I can't get out of bed because of no energy with being an anemic. I have back pain, and irregular and heavy periods with blood clots. I've had three D&Cs to scrape my uterus. I have taken birth control and nothing has worked. This runs in my family.

Comment from: wilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I woke up seven weeks ago on a Sunday hurting so bad didn't know what was wrong. I went to the ER that night and did ultrasound and found a fibroid. It was the size of a soccer ball. I've finally had it removed.

Comment from: Bedella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 45 yea old mother with three childern. Within the last year I have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids. I've had the ultrasounds done and has found several fibroids some being as large as 3.5 cm. In the last couple of years I have experienced lower abdomen pain, swelling and heavy bleeding. For some reason, my doctor is not very concerned.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: April 10

I am 21 and I recently was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid. By the time I discovered it, it was 11 cm. I had never ending periods for eight months and abnormal periods for two years. Birth control pills could not control it. I was diagnosed with severe anemia six months before the doctors realized it was a fibroid.

Comment from: sunshine1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 39 years old and have fibroids. I already had one surgery performed in 2009, a myomectomy. The surgery was not successful because they came right back. I still have all of the heavy bleeding, a lot of pain, and my stomach have grew large! I am going to try something else as soon as I have another ultrasound. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: kim850, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 48 years old. I started having very heavy periods every two weeks. I felt like I was wearing a diaper to bed because I had to start wearing overnight pads and still had to get up in the middle of the night to change them, sometimes two to three times a night. I'm not one to go to the doctor very often ...but after six months of heavy bleeding, feeling like I was ALWAYS on my period and getting very worn out I went to the gynecologist. She gave me two options: take medicine to put me in menopause which would take about 6 months and fibroids MIGHT shrink or have a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy because I did not want to back in the same situation six months later. The day after surgery I was feeling so much but I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Tabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 47 years old and have an enlarged uterus, and I am anemic due to uterine fibroids. I have very heavy periods with large blood clots. I am now without health insurance and cannot afford the sonogram that I have been advised to have and am not eligible for Medicaid. I have been told that the fibroids would shrink as my estrogen levels drop with age. I do not believe this because this past month I bled for 16 days. (For the previous five months, I had clots with a cycle lasting 7-8 days. I hope to have insurance soon and get this issue resolved and have some relief from this finally. I feel for anyone that is enduring this. When I had insurance in place, the doctors would not perform a hysterectomy, which is now what I am told is needed.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).