Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: jazzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 49 years old and have been experiencing lower back pain, frequent urination and pelvic pain. I had an ultrasound a year ago and was told I had both fibroids and cysts. My doctor did not give me any advice. I now have an appointment with a different gynecologist and will have another ultrasound done to see if they have grown. I was told by my previous doctor that the cysts and not the fibroids would be the cause of lower back pain.

Comment from: Ely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 23 years old and I have two wonderful girls. I found out summer of 2011 that I had fibroids again I don't know anyone at my age that has this. It's scary. Not even my mother has them or knew what it was when I told her. Also no one in my family as in sisters, aunts or grandmothers had this nor of cancer in the uterus. I am still in pain on my right side where it is at and my stomach is growing as if I were pregnant. I do also miss some periods, which shouldn't happen due to me being on birth control. The doctor still assures me that I could still have the third child that my husband and I had planned on.

Comment from: j4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a large fibroid the size of a melon and had it surgically removed some years ago but I now have three in its place.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a 37-year-old female with fibroids. During my cycle time it gets unbearable. I have very bad cramps also heavy bleeding which cause me to go through two packs of pads when I use to need only one. I have backaches and have constipation.

Comment from: Dedei, 25-34 Female Published: October 31

I was told by my doctor that I have a fibroid when I was 14 weeks pregnant and I had a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to a 6-lb baby girl.

Comment from: Tall Lady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with fibroids after noticing heavy bleeding and spotting between periods. I am 27 and decided to do the hysterscopic procedure which is when they surgically remove the fibroid. I had this procedure done and i was put to sleep and awoke with minimal pain. The only thing with this procedure is i may have to have it done again as when they removed the big fibroid they noticed another one behind it. It is difficult because I feel I am too young to have a hysterectomy as I have no kids. I hope only one more procedure is needed but my doctor advised me it could be more than one needed. I had this done as of last week and I am back to work and doing fine. I'm scared to continue to have this done but I keep the faith. I am 5'11" and 212lbs. I have been working out as they say that can be a factor.

Comment from: Frosty, Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I'm 47 years old. I found that I had multiple fibroids when I was 42. I don't have any bad symptoms, so I didn't do anything except for checking them every 6 months. Now there are two 6cmX7cm big ones, and many small ones. Recently I feel that I go to washroom more frequently. I'm 122 pounds with a small stomach. The fibroids take lots of my stomach room. Other than that, I don't have other symptoms. However, I can feel the two big fibroids bulging out in my stomach. My GYN gave me four options: doing nothing; Lupron; Uterine artery embolization; and hysterectomy. I don't know which option I should choose. I intend to take Ulterine artery embolization. I already arranged a MRI exam and then see what the result is. I'm glad that I'm not along and that I can share my experience with all of you.

Comment from: RMK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

These posts are so helpful in making me feel not so alone in dealing with the pain of fibroids. I'm a 43 year old woman, and I currently have at least one fibroid. Last I checked 6 months ago it was the size of a tennis ball, but I'm sure it has grown. I had an IUD but had to have it removed because the fibroid pushed it into my cervix (ouch!). I had a myomectomy 6 years ago for a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. I thought I was done, but now I have pain again, heavy bleeding, and a swollen uterus that makes my clothes not fit. It's depressing and exhausting. While fertility was a concern previously, I have since adopted my new husband's children and we have decided not to have children together. But I still don't want a hysterectomy! I'm looking into my options, but thanks for providing a forum for this discussion.

Comment from: Voiteck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 54 and have had fibroids for many years .I have three fibroids in the wall of the uterus, the largest is 9 cm. and my uterus is the size of a 4 mo. pregnancy. I don't want to give up my organs unless absolutely necessary as there seems to be some link between hysterectomy and lung cancer. Menopause is on the horizon so I'm in the wait / hurry-up mode.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?