Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: April 10

I am 21 and I recently was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid. By the time I discovered it, it was 11 cm. I had never ending periods for eight months and abnormal periods for two years. Birth control pills could not control it. I was diagnosed with severe anemia six months before the doctors realized it was a fibroid.

Comment from: sunshine1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 39 years old and have fibroids. I already had one surgery performed in 2009, a myomectomy. The surgery was not successful because they came right back. I still have all of the heavy bleeding, a lot of pain, and my stomach have grew large! I am going to try something else as soon as I have another ultrasound. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: kim850, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 48 years old. I started having very heavy periods every two weeks. I felt like I was wearing a diaper to bed because I had to start wearing overnight pads and still had to get up in the middle of the night to change them, sometimes two to three times a night. I'm not one to go to the doctor very often ...but after six months of heavy bleeding, feeling like I was ALWAYS on my period and getting very worn out I went to the gynecologist. She gave me two options: take medicine to put me in menopause which would take about 6 months and fibroids MIGHT shrink or have a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy because I did not want to back in the same situation six months later. The day after surgery I was feeling so much but I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Tabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 47 years old and have an enlarged uterus, and I am anemic due to uterine fibroids. I have very heavy periods with large blood clots. I am now without health insurance and cannot afford the sonogram that I have been advised to have and am not eligible for Medicaid. I have been told that the fibroids would shrink as my estrogen levels drop with age. I do not believe this because this past month I bled for 16 days. (For the previous five months, I had clots with a cycle lasting 7-8 days. I hope to have insurance soon and get this issue resolved and have some relief from this finally. I feel for anyone that is enduring this. When I had insurance in place, the doctors would not perform a hysterectomy, which is now what I am told is needed.

Comment from: jazzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 49 years old and have been experiencing lower back pain, frequent urination and pelvic pain. I had an ultrasound a year ago and was told I had both fibroids and cysts. My doctor did not give me any advice. I now have an appointment with a different gynecologist and will have another ultrasound done to see if they have grown. I was told by my previous doctor that the cysts and not the fibroids would be the cause of lower back pain.

Comment from: Ely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 23 years old and I have two wonderful girls. I found out summer of 2011 that I had fibroids again I don't know anyone at my age that has this. It's scary. Not even my mother has them or knew what it was when I told her. Also no one in my family as in sisters, aunts or grandmothers had this nor of cancer in the uterus. I am still in pain on my right side where it is at and my stomach is growing as if I were pregnant. I do also miss some periods, which shouldn't happen due to me being on birth control. The doctor still assures me that I could still have the third child that my husband and I had planned on.

Comment from: j4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a large fibroid the size of a melon and had it surgically removed some years ago but I now have three in its place.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a 37-year-old female with fibroids. During my cycle time it gets unbearable. I have very bad cramps also heavy bleeding which cause me to go through two packs of pads when I use to need only one. I have backaches and have constipation.

Comment from: Dedei, 25-34 Female Published: October 31

I was told by my doctor that I have a fibroid when I was 14 weeks pregnant and I had a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to a 6-lb baby girl.

Comment from: Tall Lady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with fibroids after noticing heavy bleeding and spotting between periods. I am 27 and decided to do the hysterscopic procedure which is when they surgically remove the fibroid. I had this procedure done and i was put to sleep and awoke with minimal pain. The only thing with this procedure is i may have to have it done again as when they removed the big fibroid they noticed another one behind it. It is difficult because I feel I am too young to have a hysterectomy as I have no kids. I hope only one more procedure is needed but my doctor advised me it could be more than one needed. I had this done as of last week and I am back to work and doing fine. I'm scared to continue to have this done but I keep the faith. I am 5'11" and 212lbs. I have been working out as they say that can be a factor.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Irregular vaginal bleeding can be caused by dysfunctional uterine bleeding (for example, unbalanced hormones that affect the menstrual cycle, and trauma), learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?