Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: Feeling too tired, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm 24 years old. I'm very heavy weight ( 5'7” 264 lbs) and when I went to the emergency room because I had excessive bleeding and clots bigger or the size of silver dollars. I feared a miscarriage. I've been trying for a baby to give my 5 year old daughter someone to play with before she gets too old. When I was told I had fibroids and that it wasn't a miscarriage they gave me some pain medication and told me I needed to see a doctor and it was common, not to worry. I've been bleeding for two months and just these past couple of days I've been feeling really tired. Abnormally tired. I want to be able to have babies in the future but I fear with my fibroids I'll never have children again.

Comment from: Tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I am just so glad I am not alone, here. I have always had heavy periods. 11 years ago my ob/gyn found my first fibroid when I was pregnant. I have been on a wait a see mode ever since then. I can no longer take this. It is debilitating! I can't control my urine, the cramps are horrible and my back aches. I didn't have insurance and went to the free clinic and they ordered the ultrasound that shows I now have multiple fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I have avoided sex with my husband for over a year because it is painful. I finally now have state sponsored insurance (I pay a smaller premium) and will go back to my doctor as soon as I get my card. I wish I had let him do the surgery years ago! I am in the bathroom every hour changing my ultra tampon and passing clots. Today, I have felt so bad, I'm weak and my vision is a little off. They tell you they are nothing to worry about, but unless you have suffered the symptoms, you can't imagine! I feel like I am bleeding to death!

Comment from: Brandi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 44 years old. I have had three miscarriages, with the last one I was told that I had a small fibroid but that it shouldn't be a problem with me getting pregnant again. Well, I went 7 months without a period and I was told it was stress. I started having my periods again but they were heavier with blob clots and I ended up having them every day for a year. I went to another OB and he said the fibroid was the size of a tennis ball, so he put me on 10mg of Provera, it took 6 months for it to work, it controlled my bleeding but then I was having trouble with depression so he put me on depression pills. So I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy in August, I am scared. I have no children but I don't want to be depressed and on all different kinds of medicines.

Comment from: msjenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am a 47 year old who goes to the doctor every year for pap smears and necessary visits. About 2 years ago my doctor told me I had 3 fibroids. Unfortunately one was the size of a golf ball. He suggested that he would watch it. My fibroids were growing every time I went to the doctor, about every 3 months. I just recently I had a very bad and painful period. I went back to the doctor and he found that my largest fibroid was the size of a grapefruit. After 2 years he decides it time to do something about this issue. I was scheduled for surgery 3 months ago, and had to cancel because I'm anemic and my iron was too low. Now I have to have the surgery 3 months later imagine what the size of the fibroids will be then. I think that doctors should not wait to watch the fibroids when they are constantly growing. Once it's discovered that they are growing the situation should be taken care of then. If you have fibroids and they are relatively small ask the doctor what options are available to you then, there are other options besides a hysterectomy you just have to inquire about them. By the time I found out about other options my fibroids were long gone and overgrown.

Comment from: Raven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 48 and probably approaching menopause. I have had really heavy periods and am house bound for days. My period lasts from 7-10 days. I also experience clots, like plums or oranges, and feel them pass. I am awaiting my verdict but feel that my doctor will take the path of tablets. My sister had an endometrial resection which I feel that I should have.

Comment from: Annette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had the uterine fibroid embolization in 2009. I did not suffer from bleeding or cramps but I did experience frequent urination. My fibroids have since grown back and I really don't know what to do. I don't like surgery but I am trying to look at all my options.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a uterine fibroid removed and everything went well. It was done under sedation and there was no pain to recover from I felt a little groggy from being put to sleep, but I woke up feeling great and there was nothing to be scared off.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a large fibroid removed after a miscarriage when I was 39. It was done by keyhole and being my first experience of this, it is quite painful and takes a very long time. I was in a very sleepy and sick state from early morning until late into the night. However, the scar tissue was minimal and a complete success so worth the discomfort of the procedure.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?