Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: Frosty, Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I'm 47 years old. I found that I had multiple fibroids when I was 42. I don't have any bad symptoms, so I didn't do anything except for checking them every 6 months. Now there are two 6cmX7cm big ones, and many small ones. Recently I feel that I go to washroom more frequently. I'm 122 pounds with a small stomach. The fibroids take lots of my stomach room. Other than that, I don't have other symptoms. However, I can feel the two big fibroids bulging out in my stomach. My GYN gave me four options: doing nothing; Lupron; Uterine artery embolization; and hysterectomy. I don't know which option I should choose. I intend to take Ulterine artery embolization. I already arranged a MRI exam and then see what the result is. I'm glad that I'm not along and that I can share my experience with all of you.

Comment from: RMK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

These posts are so helpful in making me feel not so alone in dealing with the pain of fibroids. I'm a 43 year old woman, and I currently have at least one fibroid. Last I checked 6 months ago it was the size of a tennis ball, but I'm sure it has grown. I had an IUD but had to have it removed because the fibroid pushed it into my cervix (ouch!). I had a myomectomy 6 years ago for a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. I thought I was done, but now I have pain again, heavy bleeding, and a swollen uterus that makes my clothes not fit. It's depressing and exhausting. While fertility was a concern previously, I have since adopted my new husband's children and we have decided not to have children together. But I still don't want a hysterectomy! I'm looking into my options, but thanks for providing a forum for this discussion.

Comment from: Voiteck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 54 and have had fibroids for many years .I have three fibroids in the wall of the uterus, the largest is 9 cm. and my uterus is the size of a 4 mo. pregnancy. I don't want to give up my organs unless absolutely necessary as there seems to be some link between hysterectomy and lung cancer. Menopause is on the horizon so I'm in the wait / hurry-up mode.

Comment from: Feeling too tired, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm 24 years old. I'm very heavy weight ( 5'7” 264 lbs) and when I went to the emergency room because I had excessive bleeding and clots bigger or the size of silver dollars. I feared a miscarriage. I've been trying for a baby to give my 5 year old daughter someone to play with before she gets too old. When I was told I had fibroids and that it wasn't a miscarriage they gave me some pain medication and told me I needed to see a doctor and it was common, not to worry. I've been bleeding for two months and just these past couple of days I've been feeling really tired. Abnormally tired. I want to be able to have babies in the future but I fear with my fibroids I'll never have children again.

Comment from: Tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I am just so glad I am not alone, here. I have always had heavy periods. 11 years ago my ob/gyn found my first fibroid when I was pregnant. I have been on a wait a see mode ever since then. I can no longer take this. It is debilitating! I can't control my urine, the cramps are horrible and my back aches. I didn't have insurance and went to the free clinic and they ordered the ultrasound that shows I now have multiple fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I have avoided sex with my husband for over a year because it is painful. I finally now have state sponsored insurance (I pay a smaller premium) and will go back to my doctor as soon as I get my card. I wish I had let him do the surgery years ago! I am in the bathroom every hour changing my ultra tampon and passing clots. Today, I have felt so bad, I'm weak and my vision is a little off. They tell you they are nothing to worry about, but unless you have suffered the symptoms, you can't imagine! I feel like I am bleeding to death!

Comment from: Brandi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 44 years old. I have had three miscarriages, with the last one I was told that I had a small fibroid but that it shouldn't be a problem with me getting pregnant again. Well, I went 7 months without a period and I was told it was stress. I started having my periods again but they were heavier with blob clots and I ended up having them every day for a year. I went to another OB and he said the fibroid was the size of a tennis ball, so he put me on 10mg of Provera, it took 6 months for it to work, it controlled my bleeding but then I was having trouble with depression so he put me on depression pills. So I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy in August, I am scared. I have no children but I don't want to be depressed and on all different kinds of medicines.

Comment from: msjenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am a 47 year old who goes to the doctor every year for pap smears and necessary visits. About 2 years ago my doctor told me I had 3 fibroids. Unfortunately one was the size of a golf ball. He suggested that he would watch it. My fibroids were growing every time I went to the doctor, about every 3 months. I just recently I had a very bad and painful period. I went back to the doctor and he found that my largest fibroid was the size of a grapefruit. After 2 years he decides it time to do something about this issue. I was scheduled for surgery 3 months ago, and had to cancel because I'm anemic and my iron was too low. Now I have to have the surgery 3 months later imagine what the size of the fibroids will be then. I think that doctors should not wait to watch the fibroids when they are constantly growing. Once it's discovered that they are growing the situation should be taken care of then. If you have fibroids and they are relatively small ask the doctor what options are available to you then, there are other options besides a hysterectomy you just have to inquire about them. By the time I found out about other options my fibroids were long gone and overgrown.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?