Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

Comment from: Raven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 48 and probably approaching menopause. I have had really heavy periods and am house bound for days. My period lasts from 7-10 days. I also experience clots, like plums or oranges, and feel them pass. I am awaiting my verdict but feel that my doctor will take the path of tablets. My sister had an endometrial resection which I feel that I should have.

Comment from: Annette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had the uterine fibroid embolization in 2009. I did not suffer from bleeding or cramps but I did experience frequent urination. My fibroids have since grown back and I really don't know what to do. I don't like surgery but I am trying to look at all my options.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a uterine fibroid removed and everything went well. It was done under sedation and there was no pain to recover from I felt a little groggy from being put to sleep, but I woke up feeling great and there was nothing to be scared off.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a large fibroid removed after a miscarriage when I was 39. It was done by keyhole and being my first experience of this, it is quite painful and takes a very long time. I was in a very sleepy and sick state from early morning until late into the night. However, the scar tissue was minimal and a complete success so worth the discomfort of the procedure.

Comment from: BK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 46 and I have uterine fibroids. My Doctor told me that I need to have a hysterectomy. I keep asking if there is any other way to take care of the fibroids other than having a hysterectomy but because of my heavy periods, large clots during my period, bad cramps and severe anemia I really don't have an option even though I am scared to death to have the surgery due to my history of blood clots in my left leg. So today I will schedule my surgery for next week, a few days after my 47 birthday. I really hope and pray the surgery is a success because have been dealing with this for 24 years.

Published: March 25

I had a lot of stomach pain and lower back. Very anemic. Looked up one of the leading doctors in the south and made an appointment. Had the MRI and he said I have 4 fibroids said go home and watch and wait. I am not on Medicare or Medicaid only insurance. I don't think they want to deal with insurance companies. Still living with pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Irregular vaginal bleeding can be caused by dysfunctional uterine bleeding (for example, unbalanced hormones that affect the menstrual cycle, and trauma), learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).