Viewer Comments: Vaginal Infections - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vaginal Infections:

Vaginal Infections - Experience

What was your experience with vaginal infections?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had burning, swelling, soreness and itching. I had treated it as a yeast infection a few times but it came back so I went to the OB. She looked and said it was BV and prescribed 3 Clyndamicin suppositories. Everything was great for a week. The symptoms were back and were much worse. They prescribed metronidizole 500mg twice a day, after 3 days of taking the pill my symptoms were even worse, severe pain, swelling, severe itching, tenderness, soreness. I went back to the OB and they took two samples. I now have a yeast infection on top of the BV, they are not sure what is causing the BV (they will know Monday). They gave me a pill for the yeast infection and 3 more doses of clyndimicin suppositories and told me to continue taking the metronidizole. Also they said cortisone for the skin in that area. I'm still pretty miserable. This has been a horrible experience. They wanted to test me again for STD's but I'm in a monogamous relationship and have already been tested. I will post the outcome on Monday.

Comment from: Liana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had terrible vaginal infections. Once the discharge is out, the skin irritation itchiness occurs. Thanks to my diet rich in garlic and turmeric, I don't have these symptoms anymore. I can feel it is still there but life is as normal as it used to be. Prior to following the diet rich in garlic (around seven whole garlic pieces and a pinch of turmeric powder in my cooking), I had suffered since last year the symptoms of vaginal infections.

Comment from: MerinaNYC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My experience with chronic, antibiotic resistant bacterial vaginosis is that I have constant lower pelvic pain. I have read this is NOT a symptom, but I will state unequivocally that along with the burn and the odor this pain has been present almost non-stop. This pain is not PID, endometriosis or anything else. My doctor did a D&C with hysteroscopy as well as pelvic ultrasound and those causes were ruled out. It is very frustrating to read such misinformation about bacterial vaginosis. Clearly there is not nearly enough research. How about the possibility that the antibiotic resistant strains that have clearly developed in some women actually cause more severe symptoms? I am living proof and my doctors don't have a clue at this point how to further help me. This has diminished the quality of my life tremendously.

Comment from: anynomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I've been battling vaginal infections for the past few years. My gynecologist prescribed Metrogel, which cleared it up, and then I got a yeast infection.

Comment from: sick and tired, 25-34 Female Published: October 04

I constantly keep getting yeast infections with the white cottage like discharge. This is so depressing for me. I have had three yeast infections in the past fifty days. I take medication but it always comes back. I came across this site and am relieved to know that I am not the only woman suffering from recurring yeast infections. I have heard before that recurrent yeast infections could be a symptom of diabetes and my friend who is a nurse encourages me to drink plenty of water, not to submerge my private parts in water, avoid the use of regular soap down there, and not to wear thong underwear. I'm going to try her advice.

Comment from: boku, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've had recurrent vaginal infections, almost my entire adult life. A couple of times it's itchy. Then I get medication and it clears, but I never stop discharging, and when I see my doctor and run some tests, they find nothing.

Comment from: allergic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

For my vaginal infections, I get a heavy white discharge (like lotion), odorless. The first time I had this type of infection was when I had sex with my actual husband (only sexual partner) and my doctor told back then (13 years ago) that I should use condoms to protect myself. I used to trust my partner and did not protect myself. I moved to U.S. and a doctor told me that the discharge was normal, some people has more than others. So for the next five years I learned to live with all that discharge. I returned back to Puerto Rico and this time my vagina was inflamed with all that discharge and I went back to my first doctor. He told me that it was a bad infection and that I should not trust my partner and should start to protect myself. My partner was upset with me, but I did it and since then, more than three years ago, I've been free of vaginal infections, plus I am not with my partner anymore.

Must Read Articles Related to Vaginal Infections

Cervicitis
Cervicitis Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Vaginal Yeast Infection Treatment
Understanding Vaginal Yeast Infection Medications Yeast infections are overgrowths of normally growing fungi in the vagina. Overgrowth inflames the vagina and creates discharge, odor, irritation, and/or itching...learn more >>
Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Unexpected bleeding is always a concern for any woman at any stage of life. Anything other than a normal menstrual period and even an abnormally heavy period ca...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vaginal Infections:

Vaginal Infection Self-Care - Home Remedies

What was the effective home remedies for your vaginal infection?

Vaginal Infections - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your vaginal infections?