Viewer Comments: Vasectomy - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vasectomy:

Vasectomy - Patient Experience

Did you have a vasectomy? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently had a vasectomy, and experienced no pain, no swelling or any other unpleasant side effects whatsoever. Nothing more significant than a slight 'pulling' feeling, which I presume is caused by two stitches inserted to close the wound. My partner and I actually stopped for lunch at a restaurant on the way home because we live some distance from the hospital where the procedure was done, and she felt that I had to have a meal before travelling. The procedure was done on a Thursday, and I spent the weekend resting, but not actually lying in bed all the time. We did some shopping on two or three occasions, which caused no problems whatsoever. I can therefore say that the procedure was a success. If your surgeon does a good job, you should not have any problems during recovery, provided that you take it easy and avoid heavy lifting and major physical activity. And I was also lucky that the lady in my life happens to be an excellent nurse!

Comment from: craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had vasectomy on January 11, 2016. That is almost two weeks ago. I am still recovering. The two visits I have made to the emergency room the doctors were less than helpful. I didn't have much swelling however my sac turned almost black with pass-out pain. I then went to my family doctor. She gave me antibiotics, which helped overnight. She told me it had been twenty years since she had seen anyone take more than three days to recover. Then she informed me that a patient had a testicle removed, to stop the pain. Two days later my sac was light purple. My left side is still swollen. The pain on that side is unbearable still. Bottom line, the surgeon made a mess, and the other local doctors are protecting him.

Must Read Articles Related to Vasectomy

Birth Control Types (Effectiveness and Side Effects)
Birth Control Overview Many different types of birth control are available. They include:
  • hormonal methods,
  • barrier methods, and
  • behavioral methods.
  • ...
learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vasectomy:

Vasectomy - After the Procedure

What measures did you take to help heal after your vasectomy?