Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Comment from: Don, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I swim a lot in YMCA pool and suspect I got vertigo from inner ear infection by not ever cleaning my ear plugs over the years. I finished swimming recently, bent over to pick up my gear from the deck, and everything started spinning. I had nothing to grab onto to stabilize myself, and the spinning motion twirled me around, I lost my balance and it threw me down. Hospital emergency diagnosed me with positional vertigo and put me on meclizine and rest. I am spending a lot of time on Google to better understand my condition (crystals in ear canal, etc.) and pick up on self-help remedies. Possibly I have labyrinthitis, so am trying neomycin ear drops, and am trying different maneuvers (Semont, Epley, and Foster). If I don't feel better after a week of self-care, then I'll go to my primary care doctor for further diagnosis. But seem to be improving after just two days now.

Comment from: Ehsan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I am also suffering from vertigo, only thing that helps is lying down on bed on my stomach with head turned to the right side, and sleeping on soft pillow in this position.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I've been having vertigo for years. The feeling is weird, I feel like the inside my head is shaking or moving. Meclizine helps a little. I go sideways when I try to walk. It is a horrible feeling.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with vertigo a few years ago and although I only experience it once a year, it's very disconcerting. I take chewable Dramamine and Advil cold and flu. That combination seems to alleviate some of the worst symptoms. I do social work and advocacy and travel among four counties, so taking a few days off isn't really an option.

Comment from: Rina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I'm 44 and I was just diagnosed with vertigo. I had my first episode in the spring for few days. I didn't know what it was, but it went away after couple of days. In early September, it came back. My symptoms are different. The room doesn't spin, but I feel the spinning and pressure dropping in my head.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

It seems that meclizine (Antivert) helps to keep it from starting but once it hits, it is of no benefit. Maintaining hydration seems to help too since my episodes have begun when I was dehydrated. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of vertigo. Causes of BPPV include infections, nerve inflammation, ear surgery complications, medi...learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include vasovagal, situational, postural, cardiac, neurologic, and psychogenic. Tr...learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect hearing. Medical treatment depends on the cause, but people ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?